𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤

- One Week Later, March 29-

"Didn't I specifically say to not contact me tonight, Abigail?"

"You said don't contact you unless it's an emergency."

"Someone better be fucking dead then-"

"Well, they're about to be if you don't shut the hell up and let me finish." The elderly lady scowled and crossed her arms.

Rafe Wibberly gave an exhausted sigh. He should've known it was too much to ask that he get a quiet evening to watch the bonfire with his wife without being interrupted.  Kate was still sitting on the bench out back, probably curled up under the blanket, wine glass in her hand, waiting for him to get back. He leaned against his front door, wrapping his arms around himself to shield himself from the cold March wind. He'd give anything to be back sitting in front of the warm fire next to his wife, kids, and even his in laws.

"OK, Abigail, what could possibly be so important for you to interrupt my 10 year wedding anniversary?"

"The Dire Magnus's Book of Shadows went missing; stolen, we assume," Abigail stated in a matter of fact tone. Rafe's back stiffened and his brows furrowed. "And by your reaction, I guess the theory of you taking it for some reason isn't true?"

Rafe shook his head. "You're sure it was stolen?"

"Well, I don't think it would've walked off the shelf by itself, Rafe."

"Who stole it?"

"Still trying to figure it out."

Rafe fingers carded through his black hair. "Who else have you told?"

"No one but Jake and Beetles know, they were the ones that noticed it was gone this morning." Abigail sighed. "Rafe, if someone with bad intentions found it-"

"It could be the end of the fucking wold, I know." Rafe nodded. "And even if they had good intentions, they could kill themselves and others if they attempt some of the things that were written in that book."

"They would have to be powerful to get through the enchantments that protect the mansion, even more so to get through the ones that protect the library."

"Was there anything else missing?"

"No." Abigail shook her head. "There wasn't even anything out of place. Whoever took it knew what they were looking for, and knew where to find it."

"An old ally, maybe," Rafe suggested, ideas already flitting through his mind. Suddenly the front door shifted behind him, causing him to stumble backwards into a person.

"Shit!" Rafe extended his hand to the blond woman, pulling her to her feet. "Sorry, sorry, sorry, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, are you?" Kate Wibberly laughed a little at his profuse apology.

"I'm fine, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to open the door."

"It's fine." Kate kissed his lips quickly before glancing over to Abigail, who was still standing, watching. "Abigail! What are you doing here?"

Kate stepped forward to embrace her, and Abigail returned the gesture, a slight smile on her wrinkled face. 

"Just... stopped by." Abigail shrugged, trying to be casual about it. Kate raised an eyebrow.

"You never were a good liar, Abigail. What's going on?" 

Abigail looked at Rafe, who didn't say anything. Kate looked between the two, confusion flooding her face.

"OK, you two, what are you hiding?"

"It's nothing right now-"

"Rafe." Kate glared. "What's happened?"