Guardian of the Sol Emeralds

2007
The Sol Dimension

Blaze sat in her regal bedroom with purple wallpaper and magenta bed sheets. She was on the edge of her bed, staring out the window at the world outside. She was to be formally made the new Guardian of the Sol Emeralds today and, to her, that meant the end of her life. No more fun. Just work. She let out a sigh and stood up before she walked over to the window.

She crossed her arms and stared out at the rocky landscape around the castle. The world she was in had seen its fair share of conflict, all thanks to the evil Eggman Nega. To help Mobians get around the ruined landscape, various rails had been constructed all over the land, suspended in the air by small anti-gravity devices.

She closed her eyes and imagined the wind on her face and the rush of adrenaline she got from freefalling and loops. After letting out a long, internal sigh, she opened her eyes just as there was a knock on her door.

"Excuse me?" Came a female's voice. "Your Highness? He's ready for you."

The voice belonged to Clara, a pink fox maid and the closest thing to a friend Blaze had. The cat princess sighed heavily and turned to the door. "I'll be right there, Clara."

"Of course, ma'am. I shall let him know."

She still calls me ma'am and Your Highness. Why can't she just call me Blaze?

~~~~~~~~~~

Blaze stood at the Sol Alter as the king, her father, recited his speech about how proud he was that his daughter would be taking on the responsibility of both princess and protecting the Sol Emeralds. Blaze kept quiet verbally but her thoughts raced.

I'll be trapped.

I won't be able to explore.

I'll be so bored!

I won't be able to meet anyone!

This is the end for me!

"Blaze?" Her father asked, putting a hand on her shoulder. Blaze snapped back to reality and looked up at him. "I said, are you ready?"

All Blaze could do was give a nod. They finished the silly ceremony and everyone dispersed. When her father went to find her, she was long gone. Blaze wasn't going to let her new duties tie her down. Sure, she had to guard the Emeralds, but they couldn't possibly be in danger all the time.

Blaze dove out one of the windows of the tallest tower and closed her eyes as a smile crept across her face. The wind felt amazing on her face. She could even feel it between her fingers.

She quickly opened her eyes and spun around, falling down the mountain her castle home rested upon, before she landed on a rail. The metal strip brought her down low to the ground before arching back upwards.

Blaze slid down the rail she was on, feeling more alive than ever. She jumped to the left to land on another rail that led to a large loop. Blaze smirked and used her fire abilities to give herself a boost forward. As she hit the loop and started to go upside-down, she squatted down and loosely grabbed the back of the rail to keep herself on.

She let out a loud "Whooo!" as she was completely inverted.

As she hit the end of the loop and started to descend, she let go with her hand and used the momentum to get a speed boost. She jumped over onto another rail that led into a canyon, her favorite spot due to all the broken rails. She smirked when she went down into the canyon and saw the broken rail up ahead. She got ready and then jumped to the side, using the canyon wall as a jump off point before she landed on a rail higher up.

This is what she loved; the thrill, the excitement, the danger. All her father wanted her to do was stand by a shrine and protect the Emeralds her whole life. Nothing was more boring than standing and doing nothing. She used her fire to jump up to a higher rail. Now that she could see over the canyon walls, she saw a small conflict happening on the surface nearby.

It looked like a couple Mobians being attacked by robotic black-and-white cats with yellow eyes. Blaze sighed and jumped off the rail, landing on the hard ground. She then took off running. When the group of three cats saw her, they turned their attention on her and charged. Blaze smiled and threw a fireball at one of them. The mechanical beast skidded to a stop as the other two kept going.

One lunged at Blaze, but the price was far too agile and skilled. She jumped up, kicked off the monster's face to jump higher and then slammed back down covered in fire. She melted right through the top half of the beast and it dropped with a clunk. When the third lunged at her, she spun around and created a small fire tornado. The cat was knocked back, its metallic body glowing from the heat.

Blaze smirked and threw a couple fireballs at it before she charged. Just as the cat managed to regain composure, Blaze spun in another fire twister and slammed into it at full speed. She smashed through it and it exploded behind her.

She then looked around for the first one she attacked but all she saw are the two wrecked kitties and the three Mobian bunnies. She casually jogged over to them and waved.

"Did any of you see where the other one went?"

"No, princess," one said. "But..."

Princess, Blaze thought. The word was like a prison to her despite it bringing comfort to others. Was there a way to bring comfort and be free?

"Princess?" The bunny asked, sounding concerned.

"Uh, Blaze is fine."

"Princess Blaze," the Mobian repeated as she pointed towards the castle. "That last robo cat thing took off towards your castle."

Blaze looked over at the castle in the distance and let out a low growl. "Fine. Guess I'm going back home already."

She ran away from the trio of bunnies and jumped back onto the rails, boosting herself back home.