CH 12: Clearing The Air

Kosuke stayed up until midnight researching a way to beat a lie detector. He was sure to take notes as he went. Only considering the most factual evidence. Eventually, after hours of pursuing online articles and scholarly studies, he was satisfied with his research. He had about 5 pages of notes. He quickly started studying, committing as much to memory as he could before he went to bed. 

Unfortunately, he didn't have another dream of his past. It frustrated him since he hoped to learn more, but he didn't have time to be annoyed. He needed to prepare himself for Tsukauchi. He read that mental preparation was the first step in beating a lie detector. He needed to be calm and organized; being too nervous can make catching lies all the easier for Tsukauchi.  

Since he had off, he used the extra time to ensure his story was consistent with what he told the others last night. From there, he needed to trick himself and Tsukauchi into believing what he said was the truth. He had to believe it with every fiber of his being. Otherwise, his body would betray him and expose his lie, yet another thing he learned overnight. 

His mother was told she could stay home for the day, so she was the one taking him to the station later.

He went downstairs as she cooked breakfast, smelling the eggs and meats she mixed while making tamagoyaki.

"Mornin' sleepy head! You're up much later than usual. You stay up all night playing video games or something?" She asks while cocking her head back toward him, still gently stirring the eggs.

Kosuke chuckled at her, knowing full well that he's never played a video game in his life, although he was curious about them.

"No, no. Nothing like that. I was finishing some assignments I didn't get to because of what happened." 

Her face fell, remembering what they both had to do today.

A deafening silence filled the kitchen as they stood there. Her back was to him now as she continued cooking their breakfast.

She broke the quiet lull, "You ready for today?" Her voice was soft, and he could pick up on a hint of worry behind it.

"Yes... but please try not to worry yourself too much," He smiles, "Soon enough, this will all be-"

Kiyoko suddenly interrupts her son, surprising him. 

"You know you can tell me anything... right? You don't have to hide stuff from me."

Kosuke grimaced internally, hating that he had to lie to his own mother.

He bottles these feelings and continues his reassuring smile, "I know. Like I said the other night, I just needed some time to get my head on straight."

The white-haired boy walks to his mother, placing a hand on her shoulder and squeezing it lightly.

"...Please don't stress over this. Everything will be water under the bridge after today." 

Kioyko is silent momentarily before responding, giving a hidden sigh as she smiles back at her son.

"I know. Just wanted to make sure you knew that you can trust me with anything... -Anyway! Breakfast is almost done! Why don't you plant your butt at the table so we can eat? I gotta haul you into the station for all the trouble you've been causing~" She finishes with a wink and a teasing tone, but Kosuke knew it was an act. He knew her just as much as she knew him, and he could tell she knew that he was hiding something. 

Despite this, he still kept his grin as he nodded, taking his place at the dinner table. The small TV was off, and he was thankful. He knew that the media would have a field day with yesterday's incident, and he didn't want the mood to sour more than it already had.