Chapter 4

Shrivansh
I enter the headquarters and walk to the cafeteria to order a green juice. I find an empty chair and get seated. My phone beeps in my pocket so I stretch my leg under the table in front of me to pull it out. It’s a text from my new assistant, Paul, informing me that my next meeting has been cancelled. So, I am free for the next four hours. All that I was looking forward to get done today was to convince the board to fire the new HMA and this particular meeting. So now, I don’t really have anything to do today. A waiter places my green juice on the table and asks with a smile on his face, “Would you like anything else, sir?”
I simply shake my head and he leaves. Most waiters know that I only order green juice, so, I guess he’s new. I click on the Instagram app icon to post the picture of my drink on my fit_shriv account as a story. I look around while taking small sips of my drink out of boredom. What do I do to kill time now? My eyes fall on the receptionist who seems to be staring at me from the first floor. She flashes a sweet smile. She always does, but I never bothered entertaining her. But this time I return a grin. It won’t harm if I had some fun in my free time. I raise two of my fingers to a familiar waiter.
“Put this on my tab.” I tell him, shaking the empty plastic cup in my hand. He nods. I look up to find the receptionist but she’s gone. I pass the security and climb up the escalator stairs and walk to the reception. She’s sitting at her usual spot. I walk up to her table, place my elbows on it, clenching my fingers into one another and bend a little.
“Good afternoon sir, how may I help you?” she asks with the same smile.
“It’s Shrivansh.” I tell her with a smile she would dream about on her deathbed. Her face turns red.
“Actually, I forgot my office key at home, maybe you can help?” I raise one eyebrow.
“Certainly.” She opens a drawer and finds the key to my office. I remove my elbows from the table and stand straight. She straightens her arm to hand me the key. I run my fingers softly over hers before reaching the key with them. The hair on her arm erect on the touch and she moves her hand away from mine.
“Actually, we are not allowed to handover the master key to anyone. I will have to accompany you to the office and unlock the door for you, Shrivansh.” She says, raising her eyes to meet mine.
I shrug my shoulders and step in the direction of my office for her to follow me. I reach my office and push open the door.
“It’s not locked?” she asks, with zero doubt in her tone.
I don’t bother answering her and push the door handle.
“Would you like to come in.” I ask, holding the door open for her. She steps in and walks towards the couch.
I enter, shutting the door behind me. It’s dark in here but none of us make any effort to switch on the lights. I take a few steps to reach her and offer my hand to her. She places her hand in mine. I sit in the couch and pull her into my lap. She places her free hand on my chest and I make my way under her shirt to reach her waist.
“What would you like?” I ask, leaving her hand to unbutton her shirt and reveal her skin.
“anything.” She says and gets in a position where her knees are now on either sides of me.
I hold on to her through the waist and pull her closer to me. She unbuttons my shirt while I move aside the fabric of her bra. She places both her hands on my chest and kisses me. I kiss her back. I pull her lower lip softly with my teeth while she makes makes her way down to my belt. All of a sudden, a bright light falls on us and I flinch in response. The receptionist gasps and freaks out. She covers her hanging breasts with her shirt, runs to the corner and faces the wall to fix her clothes. I stand and take a step ahead to take a look at the intruder. Everyone in the office knows that nobody is allowed to enter my office without an appointment. Then how dare this person walk in on me. Especially when I was in the middle of something. It’s difficult to recognise the face in the dark. I take another step ahead and take a look. I remember the face from the morning incident. It has the same disgusting shocked expression which seems a little more horrified this time. She is just standing there like a statue.
“What do you want?” I ask her, irritated.
“I just-.” She shakes her head and walks in. Who the hell does she think she is? First she ruins my fun time and then enters my office without even asking. She places something on the table. My gaze is fixed on her face. I’m going to hunt this face down and bury it’s owner in the ground. This world has too many idiots and I can’t tolerate one of them ruining my clothes and moments.
“I am really sorry.” She says and leaves the office. The receptionist walks out after her with her head hanging low.
I settle in my chair and switch on the air conditioner. I plug in my laptop charger and press the power button. I open my email and start looking for the mail about the new HMA. I had gotten too furious to read the mail, when I got it a few months ago, after reading the subject ‘Introducing our new HMA for the Indian Unit.’ I click on the mail and my eyes widen. It’s the same face. I knew that my gut feeling was right. This girl has not even been introduced to me and she is already ruining things in my life. She should not be here. I smell something. I feel a tickle in my nose. I sneeze. I sneeze once again. And again. And again. Are there tulips in here? I run to the switch board and turn on the lights. *sneeze* There they are! At the same place where she kept what she had bought. Is she trying to kill me?  *sneeze* I can’t let this go. I know her office, it’s right next to mine. I saw the workers putting those letters on the door a few days ago. I pace to her office and knock on the door. *sneeze* Nobody answers. Yeah, why would she answer the door after trying to kill her colleague. If she can enter my office shamelessly without permission, then I can too. I open the door and take a step in. She’s sitting in her chair with her head buried in her palms. I sneeze. She looks up at me and pushes her chair back in shock to stand.  As expected, first she tries to kill me and then acts shocked!
“Do you think it is that easy to kill me.” I sneeze and take a step forward. “Well, as it turns out, you were wrong.” Another sneeze “And I’ll make sure you don’t get away with it.” Yet another sneeze. Goddammit. I can’t talk right now. She simply stands in her place and listens to me in silence. I turn around to leave. I can’t bear this statue woman.
“What happened?” she says in a low voice.
The audacity of this woman is insane. She literally has the guts to ask me what happened.
“You bring flowers to my office, that I’m allergic to, and you ask what happened.” I hiss, without turning around. I don’t want to look at her.
“I didn’t know you were allergic  to them. Trust me.” She sobs. Typical female move. “Can I do something to make it better.”
Yes you can!
I turn around and walk over to her. I look down at her. She keeps her eyes glued to the ground. I hold her chin and raise it to meet her eyes, which makes them flicker. “The best you can do is leave. Leave the fucking job and go back. You don’t belong here.”
A tear rolls down her left eye and she takes a step back. I turn around and walk out of the office.