Chapter 1

It was a cold night, in the middle of December, and a freezing breeze drafted in through the cracked windowpane. A girl sat up, shivering as the gust brushed her hair out of her face. With her blue-tipped fingers, she grasped the thin blanket tighter around her small frame, which was no comfort to anyone.

That girl was you.

Your ninth birthday had only just passed, however you didn't look it. You could easily be mistaken for younger due to your small, malnourished body and horrifying lack of vocabulary.
Ever since you could remember, you had lived your life like this. Bundled up in the cold, with no company except the moon and a small, raggedy cloth bunny. And every night, you would lay in bed, staring at the cobwebbed ceiling of the attic, hoping for sleep to take you and never release you.

Despite being as lonely and forgotten as you were, you did have parents. However, you didn't see much of them. And whenever you did, it was never pleasant.
Your father was a mean, abusive man, however he seemed to reserve that only for you, on the rare occasion he did see you. He scarcely yelled at your mother, who was almost worse in her own way.
Your mother was the one you would see the most, and she made sure you knew she didn't want it that way. She would look down at you in disgust, tutting at the waste of her energy and time she had put into carrying and birthing you.
You would see her whenever she brought you food, which wasn't much to leave a five star review about. Normally it consisted of plain cereal and a glass of water. Then, sometimes, she couldn't even put in the effort to pour milk, and you would receive a slice of bread only.
That was until her stomach began swelling. Then it was as if you were completely forgotten about.

Suddenly, you were snapped out of your thoughts by laughter. With a sniffle, you flopped down onto your small mattress, attempting to ignore the joyful noise.
Your parents had started laughing again since they had been expecting. They were happy. Happy without you.
You were just a ghost of a girl, and your parents preferred it that way.

Again, you were interrupted from your dwelling, but not by laughter. With a gasp, you sat up, straining your ears as footsteps carried themselves up the stairs. They seemed like your mother's.

"Y/N!" Your mother called. You froze, unable to comprehend what she had said. Last time she had said your name was... you couldn't even remember.

Scrambling up, you headed towards the trapdoor, only to have to steady yourself as your vision went dark. Not eating for a while had done it's numbers on you.
Hesitantly, you climbed down the ladder, and slowly turned to face your mother.

"Y-yes?" You croaked, your voice sounding unfamiliar to your ears.

Your mother smiled oddly, her huge stomach almost blocking her face from your view. Without a word to you, she took your wrist and led you towards the stairs.
With a gulp, you gingerly began following her, and she impatiently jerked you along until you were at the bottom of the stairs. When you arrived, your eyes landed on your father, who was waiting there with a glass in his hand.

"Here," he knelt down in front of you, his face holding the same odd smile as your mother's had. Staring suspiciously at the liquid within the glass, you concluded it was orange juice.

Taking the glass with both of your weak, small hands, you gulped down the citrusy drink eagerly, until the glass was drained. Your father's smile grew wider, and he took the glass back and set it down on the table.

"We're going to go for a drive now, okay?" Your mother's voice was eerily calm, and you could feel something in the back of your mind screaming at you.

Why were they being so nice?

Something was wrong.

But before you could protest, you were scooped up and swept out of the door. You gasped, the freezing air sending prickles into your skin. Even inside your attic, it had never been this cold. In fact, you couldn't remember the last time you had been outside.
The air was so fresh. Everything was so real. And so loud.