xxv. the miner's daughter

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

── the miner's daughter

       𝔐arriage was some form of a requirement for District Eleven. Most didn't want it, not wishing to have children and force them to live in the same hellscape that we had done, but we barely had a choice. Just like in most districts, I would have had the right to marry whoever I wanted, but not marrying was never an option.

We needed someone to take over the farm when I died, we needed to be able to continue moving forward and having enough people to do the harvests and look after the animals. That was non-negotiable, especially in the eyes of the Capitol.

When Cato proposed the idea of being married, I had agreed almost on instinct. Not just because it would keep the others off of our back, keep the Capitol from getting suspicious and appease Snow, but because, in all honesty, marrying Cato was not horrible. He understood me, and he knew me. We had spent an extended period of time thinking that we were going to die, starving in an arena with twenty-two other tributes, and that changed a person. 

After Cato had said it, I had merely chuckled and patted his chest, agreeing before I curled back down beside him.

"No kids though." I mumbled. "Not yet, let it all die down first otherwise our kid's gonna get reaped as soon as they hit twelve."

"Why'd you think that?" I opened my eyes, unsure of whether he was being slow or he hadn't thought of the possibility. "We've been models of excellence for all victors. No rebelling at all."

He whispered that last part in my ear, trapping me into his arms a little further to make sure that no one could see his lips move or hear what he said. I laugh at his little quip.

As much as he and I joke about it, the next step that Snow would ask for is for children. Unless I manage to conveniently persuade a doctor to tell him that I have been stabbed through the uterus, or there is an issue with one of us, he would expect a pregnancy from me. Then, when the child was old enough, he'd reap them into the arena because what was better than killing a normal twelve year old in the arena, killing a twelve year old who was the offspring of the only two victors from one game obviously.

"I'll have to find a ring." Cato muttered, before letting his head hit the pillow. "I'll speak with my mother when we visit Two."

"We're visiting Two?"

"As I don't live there anymore, then it counts as a Victory Tour stop. That should be interesting."

"Have you spoken to your family?"

"Inter-district communication is a little hard." Cato sighed, before leaning closer and squeezing her a little tighter. "But, they'll see me soon."

I hum in agreement and that's all it takes before we're falling asleep. My eyes had only been closed for a moment before Aurelia threw the curtains open, walking in with no shame or care.