xxxii. prancing horses

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

─── prancing horses

          𝕴 had done this charade enough time to know what would happen as soon as I got off the train. I had waved goodbye to Cato, before being handed over to Lish, Mist and Saphi. I had thought that this was going to be quick but painful, with them taking all the hair off of my body but as soon as they sat me down, they started to cry and the tears didn't stop for the next few hours as they got me ready. It turns out, surprisingly, that I was their favourite tribute that they ever had and they were incredibly upset to see me sent back into the Games. 

I supposed one part of me was sad. I did enjoy their strange ways, it was amusing to me how different they were back home, and I'd miss them but at the same time, I had other, bigger things to worry about, including Cato. I needed to make sure that he was out.

It does make me think that people in the Capitol are unhappy. They don't want the victors to come back and fight. They don't want to see us kill each other in the arena because they know too much about us, we're too familiar to them, too much like a friend or a family member to them. For us to fight in the games, it was like they were now the districts watching people they knew get killed.

That gives me some satisfaction that they will suffer with all of this.

It also means that Cato and I's plan to convince them all that we were expecting a child would be all the more hard hitting for them and it would drain their joy for the games. That would, in turn, be better for us and win the sympathy vote for Cato and I.

Varya shows up before the prep team could continue to cry, and I take the moment to regain my composure, resting my hand on my stomach and settling backwards.

"Thank you."

"Thought you needed rescuing." Even Varya is a little more soft, a little more fragile. She's watching me with sad eyes, like she's worried that this will be the last time that we can do this. Her sharp, quick tongue is gone, and there's a quietness to her.

"Don't." She stops at my words. "I've had enough of people treating me like I'm already dead. I'm alive."

"That obvious we were all upset?"

"I think you could fill a bath with all the tears that were shed." I sigh. "I just...I want to get this over with."

"I understand." Varya nods. "Food first."

She brings out lunch to cheer both of us up. As per normal, the food is incredible and a stark reminder that there are districts suffering through starvation and I'm here eating food that could feed a family or two. It makes it worse that I know they'll throw it out as soon as I am done, even if I haven't eaten it, just because they can.