thirty seven: rock and roll bitch for you

songs mentioned in this chapter:
moonage daydream ~ david bowie
benny and the jets ~ elton john

Remus and Sirius were more than happy to spend the next week or so together, peaceful in their own quiet bubble of music and cigarettes and heated kisses in the obscene hours of the morning. Or at least they were until they got a letter from James, announcing his return to the country.

Dear Padfoot and Moony,
Never fear, the great Prongs is here! 
I'm back at home, guys, and it has been absolutely way too long since we all met up so it is absolutely essential that we do so. Wormy's back now too so don't even try and wriggle your way out of this, Moony, we have to get together and make the most of the summer!
Also maybe we could meet up with the girls too? Have a big get together? Then I can tell you all about my wonderful holidays! Lucky you! And you guys can show Pete and I all the stuff you've been practising?
So yeah, next week alright for you two?
See you!
 Prongs.

"So of course we're doing this." Sirius said once he and Remus had through the letter that had arrived early that morning with an angry peck at the window from the Potter's owl.

"Of course." Remus grinned as he folded up the letter. "I'll owl Lily, see if she, Mary and Marls want to come."

***

Remus did send owls to Mary, Lily and Marlene, receiving keen responses but a few days later, and soon the decision was made between the seven of them that they would meet up at James', before heading down the road into the small town to a disco not far from his house.

Sirius and Remus left the Lupin's small cottage in the early evening on the day of the meet up, excited to reunite with their friends after the past few weeks alone in Wales together. (Though they hadn't exactly been complaining before.)

Sirius had off course gone all out with his outfit, wearing a cropped Led Zeppelin t-shirt with a top of what Remus could only describe as a piece of material that clung to him like a second skin with fabric like fishnets underneath, paired with his sinfully tight black flared jeans and shiny Doc Martens. His hair hung down his back in its usual glossy curls, and he wore strings of silver jewellery round his neck and wrists, black eyeliner rimmed around his eyes. Remus wanted to run his hands all over him.

He himself was wearing a simple pair of red flares and a black cropped Bowie t-shirt, the silver scars on his arms on full display. But they were going to a disco. Somewhere dark and crowded where people would be far too occupied with drinking and dancing to be focusing on Remus and his abundance of scars.

They arrived at James' at around half seven, Sirius giving a sharp rap on the door of the Potter's mansion, which was soon gleefully opened by a grinning James Potter. He was in his usual get up, bright blue denim flares and matching denim jacket over a red and yellow striped t-shirt, and his face alight with excitement.

"Alright, fellas?" he said with a wink, unable to hide the way he was grinning from ear to ear.

"Yeah, alright." Sirius said with an equally large smile. "You?"

"Fucking fantastic." James laughed before looping his arm through one of Remus. "Alright, Moons?" He asked before tugging them both into the large entrance and up the long staircase, leading them to his room.

Mary, Marlene, Lily and Peter were all already inside, Peter looking a little awkward at being left alone with the girls as Lily fiddled with some of the records in the corner of the room whilst Marlene sat with Mary, carefully applying her eyeliner for her on James' large king sized bed.

"Remus!" Lily said immediately as the three boys entered the room, quickly setting down the LP in her hands and flinging her arms around Remus.

"It's almost like I don't exist." Remus heard Sirius mutter. If Lily heard him, she chose to ignore him, quickly gushing over Remus and asking how his summer had been so far.

They stayed at the Potter's another hour or so, finishing getting ready and swigging a bottle of firewhisky between the seven of them that James had sneaked from the kitchen, before making the leisurely walk down to the town towards the club he had told them about.

The disco was immediately easy to pinpoint once they entered the small town. It was about the only thing open and loud music was pumping through its walls, the bright neon lettering atop the small building glittering in the nights sky like stars. It was possible Remus was already a little tipsy.

Once they were inside, the music seemed to thrum through the walls and floors, echoing up so that Remus could feel the drumbeat in his very skin, feeling it rattle around inside him with the sheer volume of it. The dancing spotlights were a blaze of colour in the darkened room, bouncing off the walls making the large space look as though it was some part of a strange dream.

Remus had never been to a disco before. It was in many ways similar to that of one of the Marauders wild parties in the common room, but there was something different. Something strangely electric that hung in a mist about the air, causing everyone in the room to get high on the sheer excitement of everything. 

The room was mainly a large, rounded dance floor with hard flooring where what seemed like far more of the entirety of the little village were crowded. There were a  few booths where people sat drinking and laughing, squashing themselves into the small places together and a long bar stood at one end of the room with people crowded around it, clamouring for drinks whilst the majority of people took up the dance floor. It was though a huge mass of writhing, scantily dressed limbs were twisting around each other, arms reaching out to the ceiling where huge silver disco balls hung suspended on invisible string, the light from the coloured spotlights bouncing off them as they glittered, throwing the beams into different corners of the room as people bounced up and down to the beat of the music.

"LET'S GO!" Mary shouted over the music, dragging a grinning Marlene into the centre of the dance floor as the two began to dance together, seemingly immediately in a world of their own.

Remus felt Sirius' hand squeeze his beside him and he looked over to see him smiling up at him, before nodding his head over to the dance floor, inviting him to join him.

Remus squeezed the hand back before the two of them followed Marlene and Mary onto the floor, soon followed by the rest of their group.

The music somehow seemed impossibly louder in the centre of the dance floor, blaring from the speakers down at them with such ferocious intensity that Remus was sure he wouldn't be able to hear anything else again.

But he was barely concentrating on the music as Sirius took both his hands in his as they bounced up and down to the music, and Remus couldn't help but lose himself a little in the warmth of Sirius' hands and the music that engulfed him. Soon all he could see was Sirius beneath the blazing lights in the darkness, painting his usually pale, porcelain skin in every colour of the rainbow, the light reflecting from the disco balls dancing in his eyes. He simply shone. It was as if Remus had forgotten where he was. Nothing else seemed to matter outside of Sirius, his dark hair bouncing as he danced, the wild grin spread across his features and the way he looked at Remus as though he were the most incredible thing he had ever seen. Remus barely noticed as Marlene danced past him as Benny and the Jets came on, singing the lyrics loudly just beside him, or as Lily actually agreed to dance with James, the two of them spinning across the dance floor. And when Sirius reached up to grab a fistful of Remus' curls, bringing him down to a hard kiss, he didn't notice when Mary's eyes widened, causing the rest of their group to turn and stare at them. All he could think about was the feeling of Sirius' lips moving against his, the way his fingers splayed in his hair, and how Sirius' hips felt under his hands as they moved to the music. 

It was only when the song ended and the familiar sound of Bowie's voice blared out through the speakers singing Moonage Daydream that Remus finally pulled away, opening his eyes to excitedly dance to one of his favourite songs.

Until he caught sight of the rest of their group behind Sirius' shoulder, all staring at them with equally shocked expressions. It was only then that he remembered where he was and how everything he had with Sirius was supposed to be a secret. 

"Shit."

He said the word so quietly he was sure no one would hear him, but Sirius looked up immediately, before swivelling around as he followed Remus' gaze to their group of friends still staring at them.

"Shit." Sirius agreed.

"We might have some explaining to do."