Poker Face

I cut my piece of lasagna in silence.  That's the eeriest part.  There hasn't been a second of silence since I've been here.  Now we're all in one room and no one's said a thing.

To say this is awkward is an understatement.  This is my first dinner here, and I'm already ready to pack up my bag and run for the hills.

The sounds of us all chewing are the only sounds I can hear, and while it bothers me, what really bothers me is the fact that Lia is currently shooting daggers at my forehead from her position across the table.

I'm currently seated between Dean and Michael, which has me on edge.  One I'm trying to ignore, and the other is determined to ignore me.

Finally Cassie breaks the silence.  "Can I go eat this in my room?"

"No," Judd says.  

Cassie sighs.  "Fine then.  Can someone please tell me what's going on?"

"I thought you were the profiler," I mutter.  It's so quiet that even though she wasn't supposed to hear me, she does.

So much for trying to stay on people's good sides.

Cassie narrows her eyes.  "You really want to start this?"

"No."

Lia snorts.  "That's not true."  I glare at her.  "What?" she asks innocently.  She leans forward, getting as close to me as the table will allow.  "I hear you're a great liar."

I look over at Michael, and I immediately realize my mistake when he shrugs.  "Do you have something to tell us, Michael?" Lia demands.  "I hear you've been making the newcomers feel extra welcome these days."

I choke on my water as I swallow.  Everyone looks at me for a second before refocusing on Michael.  Judd's the only one who doesn't look interested in what's going on.  In fact, he looks like he's about to quit on this job.

"What does she mean?" Cassie asks Michael.

Lia, who is fully in charge of this conversation, answers for him.  "I caught him and April together before dinner."  She looks at me and raises an eyebrow in challenge.

"Think what you want," I say, shrugging.  "To be quite honest, my love life is none of your concern."  She tightens her lips, and I see Michael grin out of the corner of my eye.

I'm feeling pretty satisfied with myself for shutting Lia up, until Cassie stands up and leaves the kitchen.  Michael's grin fades, but he's not the one who goes after her.  Dean stands up from his chair.  "Thanks for dinner Jude," he says.  His first words all night.  I watch him go after Cassie.

I contemplate following, just to escape this room, but Judd stands up first.  "Since you two are so keen on communicating," he points at me and Lia, "You two can clean up dinner."  He sets his plate in the sink and walks out of the kitchen.  A minute later, we hear the front door shut.

"Any idea where he's going?" Michael asks.

"Probably to a bar," Lia decides, grinning deviously.  "Nice job," she says to me.  My eyebrows raise in surprise, and Michael grins.  I watch them high five, and then Michael leans in.  In my ear, he whispers, "Don't be fooled by her.  That was still a genuine battle.  I'm glad you came out of it relatively unscathed."  

I smile a little.

Lia gives us an annoyed look and stands up.  The short skirt she's changed into shows off her long, slender legs, and I try my best to ignore her.  I also avoid facing Michael, because I don't want him to see any hint of jealousy on my face.

Not that I'm jealous, of course.

"Well, I guess I'm off.  I have a busy night ahead of me," she says, walking toward the door.