Chapter I.

The mysterious guest
__________________________________

   The Sorting hat gave it's s usual speech about bravery and honor in form of his melodical song before Professor Mc'Gonagall started the ceremony of sorting out the first years.
   It made Ranpo once again remind himself how exciting it all felt, but only for his first time experiencing it - when he witnessed the magic of this ceremony from the first hand; when he was the one sitting on the stool with hat covering his eyes, muttering prophecies about his 'unspoken power' before finally exclaiming the name of his House -, but all he knew now, was how starved he's felt and that this tradition was only wasting his time. It sure would have been more exciting to watch with bowl of popcorn or something, but like this? Dull.
  Not to mention, he wasn't even in the mood for celebrating anything at the moment, neither did he bother to properly clap his hands when the hat exclaimed "Ravenclaw!" as another child has joined the rest of his House around the long dark table, that was yet to be filled with delicious meals Ranpo was already looking for so desperately.

  “Gryffindor!”
  “Hufflepuff!”
  “Slytherin!”
  “Ravenclaw!”
  And the list went on and on until the very last kid has gotten sorted out into their new House.

  Another boring part followed, yet fortunately didn't last for too long: Dumbledore repeating the main rules, introducing the new teachers and forbidding anything that seemed remotely fun, such as entering the Dark forest.
  What a shame.
  What a waste...
  Though Ranpo's given circumstances weren't too tolerant towards what he's found fun, but at least for now, he has tried to put his attention to Dumbledore and come across better thoughts.

  The old wizard with long white beard - now dressed in scarlet cloak - opened his arms to point the attention to himself alone.
  Ouu... This should be fun. Tell us whatcha got, old man.”

  “Now, if I may have few words about an upcoming school year.” the headmaster began as he supported his posture against the golden lectern that carried a motive of an owl with spread wings. “Believe me when I say in name of us all, that we, as the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy, have been honored to be selected as a host for very special event: the Triwizard tournament.” he announced proudly.

  Right, there will more likely be a cold day in hell than one peaceful year at Hogwarts... But nevertheless, Ranpo couldn't help but smirk at the mere thought.
  “Finally we're getting onto something.” he remarked internally to himself with mischievous excitement painted on his face.

  “For those who don't know, Triwizard tournament is special event where one student from each of three schools will be chosen to complete against their other two opponents in three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks. This school will therefore not only be home to you, but also to our guests in spam of this year.” Dumbledore then gestured to the large double door. “But enough of that for later. With that said, please, welcome our first guests-”

__

  Ranpo didn't pay much attention to the small performance each school had prepared and neither did he even try to remember the names of said establishments. He instead shared all sorts of looks with his thee friends - Yosano, Dazai and Chuuya -.
  Since they went to different Houses, they could only indicate their opinion by looks, but it didn't take any special skills to see what each of them meant.

  Yosano and Ranpo were probably the most intrigued by possible drama that felt almost inevitable with the four of them included.
  Chuuya looked as if he would be willing to join the tournament solely for the adrenaline, meanwhile Dazai was definitely convinced to join at any cost because of the major hazzard of death it undoubtedly carried.