Chapter III.

The crushing doubts
_________________________________

  Library - room of quiet, peace, knowledge and wisdom...
   Place Mushitarō loved and escaped to whenever he got the chance or felt stressed.

  “Check this out!! This is what I've won in duel to death last night!!” intruder slammed a black hat on the floor in front of him.

  Edogawa Ranpo - person of loudness, chaos and at times like this anything but  smart...
  Person who Mushitarō - sometimes - couldn't stand, as well as the very reason why he had to escape and felt stressed in the first place.

  The student in Slytherin uniform, who has been interrupted mid-way through reading a lexicon of curses, looked up at the latter. His golden eyes flashing with irritation and confusion at the same time.

  “You what-?” was the only thing that left his mouth through the growing confusion and genuine concern what latter's answer will be.

  “You've heard me correctly, Mushi-guri. I, Edogawa Ranpo, have defeated a pure blood stranger  in a duel.” Ranpo explained over-dramatically. “I was sweating, I was bleeding, but to what outcome? I've won!!”

  “Shh..!! We're in a library-” Mushitarō whispered with finger over his mouth, shutting him up.

  “Jeez...” Ranpo muttered as he flopped himself on the floor next to Mushitarō. “But seriously tho, I thought that Poe-kun would be a total vanilla and nerd, but that dude was really nice opponent. Still, I've smashed him on the ground and stomped on him like he was a bug!”

  Mushitarō didn't know whether he should feel more proud of him or concern for his mental stability.
  “Have you already told Yosano and the others about your 'victory'?” the Mushitarō asked to get things over with and test the waters.
  By 'the others', he was referring to group of students that was more of Yosano's friend group than Ranpo's, but regardless, he still hung out with them from time to time; or at least kept them around. Mostly Dazai, Chuuya and Kunikida.

  “I mean... I told her, but all she said was 'but you don't even know who he is', 'he can be using you', 'you need to be more careful' and so on.” Ranpo complained, mocking Yosano's voice.

  “I figured.” Mushitarō nodded. “She isn't completely wrong though. He is a stranger and you can't know what his true intentions are. That explains the third point and why you should be careful.” he stated his humble opinion, that was basically what Yosano said, only worded a little bit differently.

  “Yeah, but using me? A dangerous maniac? For real?” Ranpo chuckled. “If anything, he seemed like a sweet harmless angel to me.” he shrugged.

  Mushitarō observed a deep cut on Ranpo's forehead, he was sure wasn't there yesterday - probably done by blunt object like a shard of stone. He raised an eyebrow and gave him a bitter look.

  “Are you sure?” he said, unconvinced.

Ranpo rubbed said spot on his forehead. “Okay... But he really was after we've finished.”

  “Really? Why so?” Mushitarō interrogated further.

  “Let's say... He offered to give me a hand. To help me.” Ranpo explained, keeping the part about tutoring for himself. At least for the time being, it was better if no one knew, especially Mushitarō that looked done with him already.

  “With what?” Mushitarō asked with less and less patience in each word.

  “It's minor. The point is, maybe he isn't a bad guy and you're all just overreacting.”