Chapter 4

None P.O.V. cnt. "Her family's death affected her greatly from what I gathered. But she also can survive jumping from highrises and can pass through hordes of the infected. She's been bitten a few times but hasn't changed from them. Something genetic has been helping her survive the bites." Joel said about Rose's past a bit as well as the last couple weeks. "When did her family die?" Tommy asked about Rose's family's death. "When she was 13-14 years old. Her older sister attacked her and she had to put her down as she was infected. She's been on her own since then and will be from now on as her own choice. I can't make any choices for her since we're not family." Joel said more about Rose's past that he knew.

"She'll survive her trip. If she's survived 10 years on her own then she'll survive now." Tommy said about surviving this world. "I hope so. She seems like a sweet woman to be with." Maria said about her interaction with Rose as Joel looked at Maria in surprise. "Yeah," Joel muttered softly about it as Tommy looked at him with a knowing smile. He hasn't seen his brother like this since his niece's mother died more than two decades ago and he had a feeling that Joel had feelings for Rose more than he realized.

Rose P.O.V.  After about a month and a week, I arrived at the edge of Florida and all that's left is to find a boat big enough that still got a full tank of gas for a round trip.  I got on and took it to the Cuban island to get pictures of what mom would have wanted. I stopped the boat a mile out and looked through the scope to see if people survived in Cuba but found only the infected. I restarted the boat before continuing on and docked on the main port in Havana. I got off the boat and looked for any actual survivors in any of the buildings if the infected were staying outside. I saw a scope glare before the shot as I ducked for cover.

I listened through the radio for any people speaking. "They hid but I think I hit them." a person said to someone else and I heard groaning from the shadows of the building I was in. I got up and walked in the building further and found hundreds of Clickers, Stalkers, and Shamblers with a few bloaters and Rat kings in the pile. "Amazing! Rat kings, I haven't seen those before now." I muttered about the piles. "Where is the person! You said they hid in the building but where and we need to be weary of this one remember. There's a group of infected that we put in here for our safety." another person said to the sniper rudely. "Yes, the person hid there and I watched them go there." The sniper said something about me. "Bring some people and we're going in." the guy said as he waited for his group. I quickly moved through the pile, got to the back of it and laid down under the Clickers and Stalkers in the back near an open door. "Are you sure they're in here?" another person whispered to the leader and the sniper as they entered the room.

"Get up! Fight the men! Feed yourselves!" I said, clicking to the clickers, stalkers and shamblers. They got up and ran to the group who started firing at the infected. I quickly got up, ran out of the building, into another and to a higher room to see what was happening. "Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! We need backup in building 1492." the leader said through the radio as I watched him run into the same building I was in. I got my machete and handgun out and walked behind the door I left open as I waited for him to enter. There were footsteps coming in the  hallway. The leader walked in the room and looked around the room and not behind the door. "Cruz, come in. Come in, Cruz." the leader said as he walked over to the window and looked out the window.

I got out from behind the door, got behind the leader and sliced the neck of the leader. The leader fell down to the floor and looked up at me. "You! My group and I heard of you. The half-infected Queen. No one knew where you were. And now they won't." The leader said, smirking as he looked up, passed me to the ceiling. I quickly looked up and saw a massive bomb rigged to the leader's heart. "Well, you don't know me fully. Dude!" I said as I ran through the window when the bomb went off. I landed on the ground, headed out to a different place in Cuba for the pictures and back to the boat to the port of Florida. When I arrived back to the mainland and heard from the radio things about me. "All smugglers and hitmen! Find and kill the infected Queen! You will get an award for the head of the queen. She escaped from Cuba! She needs to die right now." a scared voice from Cuba said about me being the queen of the infected.

None P.O.V. Tommy and Joel heard the call from someone over the radio. "The infected queen. Didn't your smuggling friend, Rose, go to Cuba because of her mother." Tommy said about Rose and Cuba. "Yeah, we talked about a new stage of infected people. A queen, probably, I don't know. But she'll know if there's any more infected. I know she would find something for sure." Joel said about Rose.

"If she's the one people are going to be looking for, maybe she could help with Ellie and you could help protect her from others. She'll need your help, Joel and you'll need hers. I know you still love your wife and Sarah but. But I see it in your eyes that you started to love Rose and Ellie as family. I know you don't want to let them go, please, Joel. I can feel that you want to love someone again and you can.  I think Rose can give you that and Ellie could be a second daughter to you. I know she can't replace Sarah in any way but she could help with the grief." Tommy said to Joel about Sarah, Rose and Ellie. Joel looked at Maria and Ellie as they talked about whatever they were talking about.

"I'll need a few men to help. Ones that I can trust to back Ellie and I up when we find Rose." Joel asked about a group of people who can help him. A small group of men with supplies and guns stood in front of Ellie, Tommy and Joel for a recon mission. "This mission is vital. You'll be backing up Joel and Ellie who knows the person you're looking for. She'll be armed, so watch your backs. She may be in a state of paranoid so Joel and Ellie will be familiar faces for her to recognize. Don't shoot her right away or you'll be shot back." Tommy said to the group. "What does she look like, Tommy?" a woman asked about Rose's looks. Tommy looks at Joel and Ellie about Rose's looks.

"She has brown hair, blue eyes and is a bit on the shorter side in height. She might look a bit different from the description because she did get bit by a clicker when she helped Tess, Ellie and I in the museum. But..." Joel said but someone in the group spoke. "We're going for a runner. We shouldn't go after her if she's going to change." the person said in anger about going after Rose if she changed into an infected. "She hasn't changed, crapface. If she did then we wouldn't be there, would we?" Ellie said in anger to him about Rose. "You need to listen to Joel, Dwayne. He knows Rose and if she hasn't changed yet right now. But if you shoot her then you'll be attacked or shot at." Tommy ordered the team about what to do.

"Let's go! We only have a short amount of time to find her before others do." Joel said as they ran through the doors and headed towards the direction Rose went in. About halfway to Cuba, everyone heard groaning and clicking from somewhere in the woods of Petros, Oklahoma near dusk. "What is that?" Zander asked about the noise as everyone had their guns out. "Stay calm, everyone. We need to be weary and alert." Joel said as he and Ellie watched for their friend. Clickers emerged from the woods surrounding the group leaving an opening for someone or something. "Everyone, don't move." Joel ordered as everyone stopped moving and the clickers did their thing until that they stopped.

There was a lone clicking noise which came from the trees. Someone dropped from the canopy into the open spot in front of Ellie and Joel. "What is that?" the woman asked as they saw Rose with a crown made of the clicker Fugal around the crown of her head. "Is that?" Ellie asked, shocked at seeing Rose in the state she's in.