Chapter 1

My eyes fluttered open as sunlight hit my face.

Light was pouring from the window of our small room. I must have forgotten to close the curtains last night. Too tired to stand up and close them, I turned around and laid my head on Aleksander's chest, trying to hide from the strong light.

It had been less than a month since the night in the fold. Thankfully we had been able to quickly find a healer for Aleksander, but the wounds on his face had been too big. Or at least that's what the healer had said. I didn't believe her. She had been able to heal his stab wound just fine, but she couldn't heal the claw marks on his face?

I sighed, passing my finger over the biggest one on his cheek. I was just glad that they hadn't affected his eyes, which must be my favorite part of his face.

For the most part, I didn't really care. It would take a lot to make me find him unattractive. But I knew they annoyed Aleksander. I could see him glaring at them in the mirror, when he thought I wasn't looking.

My touch must have woken him up, because his eyes fluttered open, before falling on me.

"Good morning." He greeted, his voice raspy with sleep.

"Good morning." I said softly, smiling up at him. "How'd you sleep?"

His eyes roamed my face, uncertainty floating around in them.

"Fine." He answered, his smile feeling a touch fake.

He stared at me for a second, his eyes soft with affection, before he stood up.

I frowned. The bed felt cold without him. I sat up, bringing the covers with me to keep me warm.

"We should get ready to meet Ivan." He stated, getting dressed.

Ah yes, I had almost forgotten. A few days ago we had finally found where Alina was staying and today we were going to go get her. Aleksander was clearly very impatient to have Alina back. Part of me was too, we could finally continue the plan to control the Fold. But part of me didn't want to find her. I really just wanted to go somewhere quiet, where I could peacefully live with Aleksander by my side.

But I knew that was just wishful thinking, so I stood up and started getting dressed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I descended the stairs of the boarding house and entered the cafeteria area.

Normally, I would eat down here with Aleksander, but we were trying to keep the fact that he was the Darkling hidden. We didn't want people attacking or swarming him.

So instead, I went and got our food and we ate in our room. I passed by the long table filled with food, a tray in my hand.

When I'm alone, I can pass by almost completely unnoticed. I have had a few times where someone came up to me thinking I was Alina. They were already saying prayers, before even being sure it was her. Once I turn around, they usually realized I wasn't the Sun Summoner and left me alone. There had been this one lady once who was too busy praying at my feet to realize I wasn't her. She hadn't been very happy when I told her I wasn't Alina.

My tray filled with our usual breakfast food, waffles and toast, I moved to go back to our room.

"And where are you going with that?" A man asked, stepping in front of me.

I sighed, not wanting this confrontation this early in the morning, or ever really.

The man in front of me was the owner of the boarding house. He was about my height and he seemed to always be in a sour mood. He was always very annoyed by the fact we were staying here. I think if I had been alone, he wouldn't have minded. But the fact I was staying in a room alone with Aleksander, a man I wasn't even married to, seemed to anger him to no end.