Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Toby

As I walk into class—once again early—Mr. Bullock gives me a glare as he watches me take my seat.

The past couple days have been amazing. I have a sweet car, a license, been sticking it to Mr. Bullock, and have a salvaged relationship with my father. I hate to admit it, but fixing up a car with him really did help us come together. And of course my mother is more than excited; she finally has her family back together again.

Even though everything is going great in the real world, I can't help but think of Scarlet. I need to find her, so I can put all of this to rest.

Put her to rest.

Afterschool I meet Cameron by the stairs. There is a chill in the air, so I zip up my parka and bunch my hands under my armpits.

Camera catches sight of me, and he smiles, hiding something behind his back. He's wearing a hunter's hat with the earflaps down, and a leather jacket with a wool scarf peeking out of the collar.

"Hey Cameron." I say once I'm at his side. "What's up?"

"I have something for you," he pulls his hands out from behind his back and displays a CD. "Happy birthday!"

I give him a look. "My birthday was over two weeks ago."

"Okay, okay." He says sheepishly. "A belated birthday."

He hands the CD to me. "Besides, I was waiting for it to come out."

I smirk at him before glancing down at the CD. "The Artic Monkeys?"

"Yeah," Cameron says. "they're really good."

"Well," I say, giving him a grateful smile. "thanks buddy."

"Anytime." He claps a hand on my shoulder, before picking up his skateboard. "Well I got to get going. Wanna hang out this weekend?"

"Yeah, that should be good."

We part ways, him skating away and me jumping into my truck to drive home. I put the CD in the center console before I put the car in drive and exit the school. I tap my fingers absently against the steering wheel as I go down the street, and once my house comes into view I turn and park into the driveway, turn off the ignition, open the door into my house, and am about to call for my mom to tell her I'm back when I hear someone talking softly on the phone.

"Yes, yes I know." I hear my dad whisper from the kitchen.

I peek my head around the corner, trying to spy on him as quietly as I can.

"If I could fly out to see you Caroline I would," he says, smiling.

My dad laughs, clearly about something she said. "I think you can handle it without me."

My chest starts to tighten, and I feel my blood begin to boil, and before I can stop myself I briskly walk up to him.

"C'mon Caroline, I'm sure it's—"

I yank his cell phone out of his hand, ending the call.

"What the hell Toby?" My dad exclaims, shocked.

"Why would you do that?" I demand, slamming the phone onto the counter. "Why would you do that after all we've been through?"

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about." He glances at me angrily. "Look, that was a very important client you hung up on—"