Chapter 1

The birds were chirping, singing to their heart's content, and Tanjiro hated them for it.

They just wouldn't shut up—no matter what, you could scream all you wanted at them and they wouldn't care.

Tanjiro could hear their love songs echoing in the background desperately trying to find a potential mate.

Suddenly Tanjiro heard his mother's raspy scream, she always sounded like she was dying because of her smoking addiction, at least it blocked out the annoying sounds of the birds chirping. "TANJIROOOOOO!"

"Yes mother?" Tanjiro asked, feeling confused and irritated, why was she even screaming.

"TANJIRO, YOU LAZY BOTTOM FEEDER, LAST NIGHT YOU FORGOT TO SELL THE COAL, QUIT SITTING AROUND LIKE A LEECH AND GET TO IT." He could hear her spitting against the floor as she threw one of the many beer bottles laying around.

God dammit.

"Mother, I apologize I didn't mean to," He said, slowly getting up from his stack of hay to face her.

Kie was leaning against the doorframe with a cigarette in between her dry, cracked lips, the exhaled smoke clogged up the bedroom making Tanjiro cough.

"Well hurry up before we all freeze to death," Kie shook her head, using her wrinkly hands, she grabbed a piece of cloth from her pockets.

"You still haven't washed your ghastly face, let me do it for you." Kie stated with slight disgust shown on her facial expressions. "No ones going to buy coal from some dirty looking hobo."

Tch, why is she always like this? Tanjiro thought to himself, he finished off his thought by mumbling, "I can take care of myself."

"I heard that," Kie scoffed, she walked over to him. Grabbing his face she quickly wiped the dirt off, blowing smoke right at his face as she did so.

Suddenly Tanjiro's two younger siblings bursted through the door, uninvited, their shoes covered in snow.

And now, the floor was going to be even colder than before. "SHIGERU YOU BUZZ CUT KID STOP MAKING EVERYTHING DIFFICULT AROUND HERE, YOU GOT THE FLOOR COVERED IN SNOW."

Kie slapped the boy, Shigeru flinched with tears swelling up in his eyes. "Sorry mother.... Hanako did so too...."

"Oh, thank you for reminding me about Hanako's existence." Kie smiled sweetly and turned to her. She was always mothers favorite, Hanako never had to do anything around here.

"Sorry about Shigeru's behavior," Hanako bowed in a way to apologize.

"Ah, it's okay darling. I forgive you both, but I don't forgive Tanjiro for being a lazy, slopsucking, worthless, piece of trash. We could die out here from starvation." Kie let out an exasperated sigh, she glared at Tanjiro with an unyielding hatred sparkling like diamonds in her eyes.

"Tch, I'll show you how dedicated I am to this family. Unlike your lazy pigs asses I actually do all the work around here." Tanjiro breathed heavily, he spat on the floor and rushed out with tears threatening to spill out like a river.

As Tanjiro grabbed the sack of coal he could see Nezuko staring at him with admiration in her eyes.

She was the only one who Tanjiro actually liked in this family, Nezuko respected him and only him in this cursed family of abominations to society.

That's why they lived in the mountains, they were casted away from society.

Tanjiro still remembered that fateful day, when everything changed for the worse.

Tanjuro, his father, killed the village chief's pet bear all because of a massive fat ass shit it took on his front lawn.

Tanjiro couldn't blame his father though, he would've done the same. He still has nightmares to this day from the sheer size of that enormous shit.

His father even got some disease from that thing while trying to clean it.

It was so potent, so deadly that it ruined his chance of making it to the next few years of life.

When Tanjuro killed the chief's pet, he exiled him and his whole entire family from the village.

Tanjiro still remembered that there were rumors about the bear and the chief being intimate, but at the end of the day it was all speculation.

Tanjuro had to pay the price of his actions, he died of starvation and disease up here in the mountains.

Tanjiro even speculated that his whole entire family got some other unknown disease from the smell of the bear shit.

It made them start acting up, they started acting like weirdos.

Tanjiro was snapped out of his flashback when Nezuko placed her hand on his shoulder, "Stay safe out there Tanjiro and if you have the chance to steal. Then do it, do you understand?"

Tanjiro nodded, "I will, only for us. They get to eat trash while we eat good."

Nezuko smirked, "I can't wait! It's going to be exciting."

"Mhm, also why is Rokuta snoring like an old man..." Tanjiro whispered looking at the boy who was wrapped around his younger sister, he was mimicking a sloth.

Except it wasn't cute or anything like that, Rokuta was clinging on like an intolerable pest.

"I think he got the silly old man syndrome, but don't tell him that I said that. He's going to be whining and complaining about that with his raspy voice." Nezuko eyed Rokuta with spite in her eyes.

"Tch, don't remind me of that vermin's voice. I can feel my ears being on the verge of bleeding out." Tanjiro covered his ears, his hands were cold and clammy.

"I apologize Tanjiro, you gotta get on your way. I can hear our mother's footsteps exiting the house." Nezuko warned, her voice trembled.

"One day... Nezuko we can become rich and escape Kie's clutches." Tanjiro promised, he grabbed hold of Nezuko's hands.

Nezuko's hands were curled up into fists as she struggled to hold back tears. Tanjiro wished he could hold on much longer, to comfort her. But he knew he had to flee before mother got even angrier because he was "wasting" time which he wasn't.