+Thematic Parallels+

Suszanne Collins is a fantastic writer and incorporates thematic parallels into her work which I think tend to be overlooked or clumped into a single Idea. Thematic parallels allow readers to more clearly experience and understand the presence of a disparity in the story, which the Hunger Games franchise develops heavily upon. Below, I will list some of the thematic parallels I have noticed and what they mean. Please comment and tell me if you can think of more!

-Power vs. Oppression-

Power vs. Oppression is by far the most easily recognizable parallel and is one of the defining points of the series. Power is signified by President Snow, The Capitol, The Hunger Games and the Government in general. Oppression is shown in Katniss Everdeen, The Districts, The Hunger Games as well, and in the overall treatment of the people of Panem. The Power that Snow and the Capitol reign over the Districts is of course what causes the rebellion to form, and the way the books and movies contrast the inequality of freedom highlights just how divided the powerful and the oppressed are. 

-Forgiveness vs. Revenge-

Forgiveness and Revenge are two very essential plot points throughout THG series. The acts of forgiveness are shown most by our protagonists, Katniss and Peeta, who, despite having been subjected to cruelty and unfairness, are willing to forgive past adversaries who have done them wrong, namely the government and even more broadly the world around them. For these people, the act of forgiving is a conscious and difficult choice which readers may sympathize with. Revenge, however, is personified in characters such as Gale Hawthorne and President Alma Coin, who seek active revenge against the people who hurt them, even thought it may endanger innocent lives. This parallel is especially strong between Peeta and Gale, and is a large part of the reason Katniss chose Peeta over Gale.

-Death vs. Life-                                                                                                                                                               While this may seem a little straightforward, the parallel of life vs. death expands beyond it's surface meaning. The comparison between life and death is used heavily in THG to allow readers to understand the sheer significance of Katniss Everdeen being alive. She has countless encounters with death which she overcomes and continues to live. However, characters such as Rue, Finnick, and Prim bridge the line over to death, and allow the story to develop this way. Collins places such a pivotal line on life and death that the reader is able to feel the direness of how important it is to stay alive.