Chapter 2

Samantha's POV

In a small town like Wolverhampton, it isn't hard to find anything. Everyone knows where the necessities are without having to question it. Of course right now I most likely couldn't even tell you were the closest gas station is. My mind continues to race the longer I'm in the car. I'm thankful Sara's driving because I don't think I would be capable of getting us to our destination in one piece.

The police station came into view and I felt my heart pounding in my chest. Whatever was on the other side of those walls was something I didn't know if I would be prepared to hear. I gripped the arm rest to the point where it made my knuckles turn white. I closed my eyes as Sara parked the car and took a deep breath before stepping out of the vehicle. The parking lot was filled with white police cars everywhere I looked.

As soon as we entered the building there was a swarm of people all doing different things. I had no idea where to go or who to talk to. It was like no one had even seen us walk in but none the less we walked up to what looked like a front desk. A middle aged woman sat there and before we could think of something to say, she beat us to it.

"What's your name?" She asked in a monotoned voice that sounded colder than I've heard anyone talk before. She didn't even look up at us.

"Samantha."

"Last name." She huffed. Even with looking up at us, I could tell she was rolling her eyes.

"Payne." I answered a little more stiffer. For the first time since we got here she looked up at us. It was almost like her facial expressions relaxed for not even a second before the stone cold look plastered itself back on her face.

"Follow me."

I looked back at Sara and gave her a look that said, what just happened? She shrugged her shoulders and followed behind me as we were lead to another part of the building.

"Wait here. Officer Halstead will be right with you." She left the room right after than and I couldn't say I wasn't happy about it. I took a seat in one of the two chairs while Sara remained standing.

"Aren't you going to sit down?" I asked. My knees began to shake nervously without me even realizing it.

"Are you sure you want me in here?"

"Why wouldn't I?" I responded. She was my best friend so I didn't know why she would even ask that.

"Because what if the very worst thing happens and it's something really bad?" She asked. She scratched the back of her neck, probably uncomfortable in this situation.

"All the more reason why you should be in here." She nodded her head and filled the seat next to me.

I couldn't tell you how long we waited for Officer Halstead because five minutes felt like five hours. By the time he walked through the door I was a complete nervous wreck. My palms were sweating profusely which I had to wipe down on my pants.

"Samantha?" He asked, not being able to tell which one of us was which. I stood up and shook his outstretched hand.

"Please, sit." He instructed. I did as he said and crossed my left leg over top of my right leg. There was no time to prepare myself before he stared talking which could also be a good thing because that means I don't have time to overthink the situation again.

"There's no easy way to start this." He paused and I could feel my heart beginning to beat faster. "At 9:27 this morning your parents were on their way to work when they were hit by an oncoming vehicle. When we arrived at the scene, it was discovered they were both unresponsive."