03| Echoes of Melancholy

It starts, as with most things in his life, with Taehyung.

Tuesday unfolds, a somber sequel to the faded memory of Monday's existence. The colorless remnants of the previous day hang limp in the fringes of Jungkook's mind, washed away and left to dry, like discarded laundry.

The bitter chill of existence claws at his weary bones, seeping through the layers of his tattered coat. But amidst the frigid void that surrounded him, there was one feeble attempt at warmth—a flimsy cardboard coffee cup clasped tightly in his grasp. Its thin walls provided a fragile barrier against the numbing cold, a meager shield against the harsh realities of the world.

Wired headphones hung from his ears, spilling fragments of music into the air, their rhythm had blended seamlessly with the background hum of a bustling metropolis.

It's then that he notices Taehyung, his hyung, standing there against the wall.

There's an unmistakable scowl etched upon Taehyung's face as he engrosses himself in whatever captivates his attention on his phone. It's a formidable expression, one that could strike fear into anyone who dares to cross his path. Yet, Jungkook finds himself irresistibly drawn to that sight—the intensity in Taehyung's gaze, the way his eyebrows furrow ever so slightly.

It's been far too long since Jungkook has had a chance to truly see Taehyung, not just stolen glimpses in the midst of their demanding schedules or fleeting moments snatched during their rushed lunch breaks. The rare luxury of a week off has finally graced their lives, allowing them a temporary respite from their hectic routines. But amidst this apparent blessing, there's a bittersweet truth that tugs at Jungkook's heart.

While it's true that they all have this precious time to themselves, it also means they'll be confined to their respective rooms, isolated in their own private spaces. It's a necessary arrangement, of course, considering the demands of their profession and the need for rest. Jungkook himself is an introvert, needing solitude and silence to recharge, it does become a little lonely.

With a single room to call his own, the solitude can become palpable, like an ache that settles deep within his bones. The absence of his companions, the laughter and warmth they share, leaves him longing for their company. But it's Taehyung, in particular, who leaves a void in his heart. The vibrant and magnetic energy that Taehyung radiates is like a lifeline to Jungkook, an anchor that grounds him amidst the chaos of their lives.

"Morning, Tae," Jungkook greets with a hopeful smile, the anticipation of Taehyung's warm embrace already igniting a flicker of comfort within him. It's their morning ritual, a small yet significant moment that reminds Jungkook he is not alone; a familiar embrace that usually precedes their morning walk. Though Jungkook has already taken his own solitary stroll earlier when he went to get his coffee, he finds solace in the presence of his hyungs, especially with Taehyung.

But Taehyung looks at him for a fleeting moment, pausing before emitting a noncommittal grunt and returning his attention to his phone. The lack of physical comfort weighs on Jungkook's heart, but he soldiers on, yearning for even a simple hug or a warm handshake.

"Nice weather we're having, huh?" Jungkook ventures further, attempting to initiate a conversation, hoping to bridge the gap that has formed between them. (A gap that he had never known existed until this moment.) Yet, Taehyung merely casts a quick glance out the window before delivering his response in a monotonous voice, "It's foggy."

Jungkook lets out a nervous chuckle, his attempt at levity met with Taehyung's resolute return to his phone's captivating screen. Undeterred, he persists, like a stubborn child. He's craving a connection, even if it's just through conversation.