08| The Dance of Broken Dreams

Jungkook stared blankly as Hoseok's brows furrowed in frustration, his usual patience stretched thin like an overworked elastic band.

He didn't know why he had come to the studio, couldn't even remember when he had got here. He remembered swearing to himself, after the work was finally done that he wouldn't be back until the holidays were over, and yet, here he stood on the freshly waxed floors of the studio desperately trying not to cry for what felt like the millionth time today.

He just wanted to do something that wouldn't backfire on him, something productive that didn't make him feel worthless and stupid, it just so happened that Hobi-hyung was there. It was supposed to be a fun dance practice, a test of the new choreography, something Jungkook normally had no problems with, and yet...

The steps seemed to blur together, each movement a fleeting glimpse he struggled to capture. The rhythm became a mischievous ghost, slipping through his fingertips as he stumbled through the intricate footwork.

With each faltered step, anticipation for the coming storm coursed through his veins like a wild current. And with each mistake, Jungkook's confidence waned, like a flickering flame on the verge of extinguishment. He fought to keep up, his muscles straining and his mind whirling, but the elusive grace he sought seemed just beyond his reach. It was as if he danced on a tightrope, the ground below threatening to crumble with every misplaced beat.

Hoseok's frustration bubbled to the surface like a simmering volcano, his voice sharp and clipped as he corrected Jungkook's errors. The words stung, piercing through the already fragile armor of his self-esteem. He felt like an amateur painter, splattering paint onto a canvas, his once-vibrant colors now muddled and indistinct.

"Jungkook, get it together!" Hoseok's voice echoed through the studio, the disappointment in his tone a dissonant chord that reverberated within Jungkook's chest. The words hung in the air like heavy curtains, suffocating him in a stifling silence. He stood frozen, his heart aching with a sense of inadequacy that seemed to seep through his skin and into his very bones.

The atmosphere grew suffocating as if the air itself had turned against him, leaving him gasping for breath. Hoseok's patience seemed to have vanished along with Junkook's self-esteem because he didn't even bother to say anything, he didn't even have to, for the door that slammed shut before Jungkook could even open his mouth, spoke for him.

He gazed at his reflection in the mirror, searching for a trace of the dancer he once was. His reflection stared back, eyes filled with unshed tears and the shattered fragments of a wounded spirit. The silence enveloped him like a heavy fog, seeping into his pores and eroding his self-belief. His body sank to the floor, the cold surface offering a chilling reminder of his immense failures and shortcomings.

Dimly, in the back of his mind, he wondered if the problem wasn't the stress of their schedules but just him being a colossal failure. 

◇──◆──◇──◆