II

Lucas Kennedy and I grew up going to the same schools starting from preschool to high school back in New York. Despite growing up together, we never really talked as much until the end of junior year of high school when his best friend, Jack, started dating Layla. We all grew up going to the same schools, it was just a matter of time that Jack's obsession with Layla would end up with them dating, especially considering he had basically swore her off from dating anyone else. Personally, I never dated in high school, especially considering I was solely focused on getting into college, but also every time I got asked out (the three times out of four years that it happened), they eventually canceled on me and I wouldn't see them at school again, which wasn't completely odd since it was a big school, but it still made me disappointed nonetheless. However, other than that, I had never really paid attention to Lucas, but everyone had some idea of who he was.

His family owned Kennedy and Boch Industries, co-owned with Jack's parents, they owned the world's largest manufacturing sites. You know those mysterious companies that seem to own a few parts of everything, but aren't super public about it?

Yeah, that's them.

Towards the beginning of senior year of high school, I had started noticing that Lucas was somehow always around, in all the same classes, academic clubs, and parties. It might have been because Layla and Jack were constantly together since he wouldn't let her leave his sight, but I always thought there was something off about Lucas. I caught him staring at me a lot, stalking me on Instagram, and sometimes saw him in the parking lot when it was late after my club meetings. However, I always rationalized it with him also being busy since he was on the lacrosse team with Jack who would wait for Layla after our club meetings. All of us ended up going to Georgetown after graduating, which was a huge advantage in terms of finding roommates and navigating the first few months, but also strange about how we all got in. Like, what are the odds of that happening?

Fast forward to college, things were normal, and I noticed that we had the same classes, and even joined the same clubs. I wasn't too surprised considering we had the same major, but it wasn't until the end of sophomore year at Georgetown's end of the year gala that I figured out it was something more. I had gone with my friend Alex, a friend from one of my classes who had been there for me when my other date cancelled last minute. Alex and I showed up to the gala with Jack and Layla, and Lucas and his date, Lexi, who none of us could stand to be around. Alex and I were taking pictures and talking to everyone when I felt someone staring at in my direction. Turning around and seeing it was Lucas, I followed his gaze and realized he was staring at Alex like he just set his house on fire. I caught his stare, and after holding on to it for a few seconds, I turned away because I could feel my face burning up. After I went to face Alex again, everyone heard the loud bang of a door being slammed shut. Not knowing who it was, everyone went on to enjoy the rest of their night.

Later on, being the gentleman he was, Alex drove me home and watched me go inside to make sure I was safe.

As soon as I walked into the townhouse I shared with Layla, I had a feeling something was off. I walked into the living room with a bat I brought with me that was sitting near the front door, and as soon as I was about to swing, I flipped the switch and saw Lucas sitting in my spot on the couch. It was a bit odd since neither Jack or Layla were there, which is why he's typically at our house, and as soon as I was about to ask what he was doing here, he interrupted me saying

"So, did you have fun with Alex?"

I could hear the malice in his voice when he said Alex's name as if it was the most disgusting name he's ever said.

"Yeah, he was really great! I'm thinking about seeing him again tomorrow" I said smiling at the thought of hanging out with Alex again.

I hadn't realized that he got up from the couch and started walking towards me.

"Oh really? What makes you think that you can see him again?"

In complete confusion, I looked up at his 6'4 body hovering over my 5'5 stature not realizing how close we were. I tried to step back but my back was met with the rough edge of the kitchen counter.

"What do you mean 'what makes you think you can see him again?' of course I'm going to see him, he's my friend. Besides, he saved me last minute after my date cancelled, so I owe him big time." I replied still looking up at him trying not to sound intimidated.

He gets closer to my face, and wrapped his arms around my waist, pushing our bodies together, and replied

"You won't see him tomorrow because I said so. Matter of fact, you might not see him again."

Even more confused, in a slightly sassy fashion, I replied

"Well I don't care what you say, he's my friend and I will".

He stared at me with a storm brewing in those ocean-colored eyes, moving a piece of hair out of the way, he held my face in the palm of his hand, and said

"Well princess, you will listen to what I say because you're mine. I didn't get rid of Ben just so you can go to the gala with Alex. So here's what you're going to do. You're going to get upstairs, go to bed, and you will not see Alex tomorrow. Trust me, you will not like the consequences if you do so, and I will know, so don't push it Alisha."

A mix of emotions ran through my body as I realized he was the reason my other date, Ben, cancelled on me. As soon as I was about to respond, he basically growled in my ear

"My princess" and left a lingering kiss on my forehead, then proceeded to walk out the door, leaving me to wonder, why did he say I was his and what kind of bullshit had he started?

Turning back to the issue at hand, realizing I had not seen him since, my gaze was set on the surprisingly new fascinating expo marker sitting on the professor's desk and I felt his eyes burning a hole through me. I made the mistake of shifting my gaze towards him and he was not happy.