08 | octo

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     THAT NIGHT, NEIL DREAMED of Icarus falling to the sea

     THAT NIGHT, NEIL DREAMED of Icarus falling to the sea. His wings burned at the seams, feathers torn from the air pressure at the speed of gravity. It was both poetic and tragic at the same time, as he smiled at the sun when he plunged into the deep blue sea, now belonging to the ocean that his father warned him to avoid. A solemn song that can be heard in the rushing of the waves lapping against the wild tide, never to be sung again.

     He let the sound of the cicadas in the forest drown the thoughts in his head. All that was left was the scent of mimosa and cardamom, a swish of dark hair, and intense gray eyes that looked green, then blue, then hazel.

     The next day, he found Presley in the dorm halls after class. The brunette had been carrying books, her gait an effortless allure. So, Neil decided to do something new, and stupid. Without prior warning, he slung an arm around the girl's shoulders, to which she flinched slightly out of surprise. The Golden Boy of Welton Academy had a stupid grin plastered on his face, and it did not go unnoticed when Presley shot him a condescending glare, despite him being taller than her. "Good morning, Pres, you have to join us!" Neil whispered hastily, cutting to the chase.

     "Don't call me that." Presley snapped at him, unconsciously taking a step away from him, but Neil only pulled her back closer to him. The girl pressed her lips into a thin line in distaste. "And since when did we become this close that you can put your arm around me and not expect me to retaliate?"

     "Pres, come on, it'll be fun! You heard what Mr. Keating said! Carpe Diem, seize the day." Neil ignored her warning, and continued on being the persistent boy he was. This elicited an exasperated sigh from Presley, removing Neil's arm from her shoulders as she stood in front of him.

     "Neil, I — "

     "Please?" He pleaded, cutting her off midsentence. Presley bit her bottom lip, knitting her eyebrows in annoyance as she stared incredulously at him. Neil found this to be adorable, unfortunately for her. "Pretty please?"

     Sighing, Presley turned to avert her gaze from Neil, who's eyes remained on her. She was silent for a few moments, contemplating on her answer. "Why?" She hissed, the volume of her voice dropping lower.

     Neil only responded with a shrug. Staring at the boy as if he'd grown a third head, Presley let out a scoff, shaking her head out of disbelief. With one last look at him, she turned around to walk away,  though this time, Neil didn't follow. He watched her silhouette blur amidst the crowd in the halls, a strange sensation rising within him.

     Turning around to go back to the direction where he came from, he caught the other boys whose heads have stacked at his doorway, apparently watching the whole scene unfold. Neil shot a pointed glare at them, to which Charlie responded with his signature smirk on his face, while Knox and Meeks snickered deviously. "What are you looking at?"