You Are The Love of my Life

12km ran and just over an hour later, we finished our run outside my apartment. We stopped in the shade, desperately trying to cool down.

"Oh my god, I feel sick! Thank god you did it with me, cos I was ready to finish after 8km!" I panted, gripping my side. I could feel the beads of sweat on my forehead slide down my face as my cheeks burned.

"Same. After 10km, I was ready to give up. We'll keep at 12km this week. 13km next week, maybe the week after. We just need to be comfortable with this 12km first." Matt was bent over, his hands on his knees.

"Sounds like a plan! Are you alright getting back, or do you want a lift?" I asked, wiping my head. I could barely walk, my legs were shaky. I wasn't sure if Matt would make it back, or even how far he had to go.

"No, I'm good thanks Elle. Won't take me long. I won't be running it though. Just a gentle stroll for me and my shaky legs. I need to pick up things for dinner anyway. Emily's coming round tonight." He mischievously grinned at me.

"Sounds exciting! You can fill me in on how it went tomorrow!" I grinned. "Text me when you get back please."

"Will do! Have a good day, Elle!" He waved and turned off down the street. With shaky legs, I attempted to make it back to my apartment without collapsing. I wondered if Pedro had stayed, or if he'd realised what he'd done and left. As I got to my door, panic struck as I remembered I hadn't took my key and hoped Pedro was still there. Otherwise I'd have to call my landlord. I knocked on the door sheepishly. After a few seconds, Pedro opened the door. He walked away as soon as I walked into the apartment. You could instantly feel the tension. "I'm surprised you're still here."

"I couldn't leave. You didn't take your key. I'm an asshole, but I wouldn't intentionally get you locked out your apartment." He walked over to the sofa and sat back down. I never had a problem with him staying here, but the fact he settled back down instead of offering to go home annoyed me. I didn't want to see him right now.

"Well I'm home now. I'm going in the shower." I left him to it, heading towards my bedroom and en suite. We hadn't planned to do anything, but I wasn't in the mood anymore. After a quick cool shower, I changed into some leggings and a top. I towel dried my hair the best I could, but left it to air dry. My stomach rumbled as I made my way back out into the open living space. I idly wondered if Pedro had taken the hint and left, or if he was still on the sofa. As I turned the corner, I saw him on his phone, lying with his head back resting on the back of the sofa. "Are you hungry?" I asked as I walked over to the kitchen.

"Yeah. I was waiting for you. You eating here or do you want to go out for lunch?" Was he serious?

"I'm going to make food. I've got plenty in. What do you want?" I asked as I collected a glass of water and drank the whole glass in multiple long gulps. Just as I finished, my phone buzzed against the kitchen worktop.

Matt: Forgot to text you to say I'm back. What kind of wine goes best with steak?

Me: Maybe a Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec? Something red. Cute that you're thinking about all the little details. I'm sure she'll appreciate!

"Eleanor?" Pedro shouted me.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I replied as I quickly locked my phone and gave him my full attention.

"Who are you texting?" His tone was clipped and cold.

"Are you seriously asking me that?"

"It's Matt, isn't it?" Here we go.

"Yes. What did you say?" I tried my best to change the course of the conversation but knew deep down he was going to kick off.

"Christ, you've only just left him! Can't he be without you for 1 second?"