04| red

NADIA

I walked into the bathroom with my phone in hand and shutting the door behind me. A whole part of me had hoped that the bathroom was empty but no.

There was a community of girls touching up some makeup and others who were just staring at themselves in the mirror. Others gossiped and gushed over guys who weren't aware of their existence. 

Well shit.

I ignore them as I  walked further in the bathroom but the sound of a cry stops me in my tracks. I stiffen, turning to where I could hear the cry. And that's when I saw her. A girl with blonde cornrows was on the floor, crying while everyone else just laughed at her.

I heard that Everton High had a high rate of bullying and what not but I didn't expect this.

I walked over, ignoring the stares I got as I did so. I crouched down, grabbing her elbow and slowly helped her get back to her feet. I refrained from asking if she was ok because she clearly wasn't and once she was up, my eyes fell on all the girls who watched with disdain.

They all went silent like they weren't just laughing 2 seconds ago. "What the hell is wrong with you people?"

And then the door opened with a loud bang. My eyes flickered towards it and there they were. Barbara and Lord of the rings.

"Oh look, it's the new girl coming to the rescue,"

"What did you guys do to her?" I grit my teeth seeing blood dripping from her leg. "Nothing too serious. She's used to it, aren't you Blue?" Barabara averted her gaze and shot Blue a look.

"You're all monsters," I shook my head in disbelief. I walk off, pulling the girl even closer to me. Her body was dripping with water but it was nothing I couldn't fix. The school was so big I didn't even know where the janitors room was but she was going to help me.

So I grabbed the hoodie from my bag and handed it to her.

Good thing I'm always prepared.

She muttered a 'thank you' before pulling the item over her head.

"Take your shoes off," I tell her but she didn't move. "You actually thought I was going to let you walk with wet feet and catch a cold? No sweetheart. Take them off." She was reluctant but slowly began to take them off.

She dried her feet with the towel and I handed her a pair of yellow boots I found in one of the shelves. She looked at me like I had grown two heads. "I know they're grotesque and preposterous but you're gonna need to wear something when you walk outside,"

With a sigh, she took them and wore them. I made a mental note to make her burn them or give them away after because she wore them without socks.

So we walked out of the janitors room but not without people staring at Blue's boots.

"What, never seen a pair of boots in your life?" I said, growing bored of the kids at this school.

Luckily, it was still break by the time we got to the cafeteria. She ordered her food and so did I. Our eyes wandered off, looking for an empty desk but we were saved when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey, Red. Come over here." said Anthony. He waved, a huge smile plastered on his face. There was him along with some other guy next to him but I couldn't see his face. The other had his eyes glued on his phone and next to him sat a girl. She was a brunette who sat there, laughing at something one of them had said.

So we walked over. Blue following slowly behind me. "I see you made a new friend," said Anthony. I hum in response, feeling Blue's nails dig into my back.

Guess that's what I get for wearing a crop top.

"I guess that's the perks of being popular, " I joked. "Everyone meet Red and.. " Anothony trailed off, his eyes not leaving Blue's.

"Blue."

His brows come together in confusion. "What was going through your parents' heads, naming you guys after colors?" The guy who couldn't get his eyes off his phone finally did. His brown eyes landed on us. He seemed amused and.. interested. "Actually, I'm Nadia but Anthony refuses to call me by my name," And right when I said that, I was met with another pair of eyes.

Those olive ones from this morning. Frigid. Remote.

"Nice to meet you," The brunette chirped. "You and Blue can join us," She smiled brightly, patting the chairs next to her. "I invited them first," Anthony said and they began to bicker. "Ignore them. That's what siblings do," I nod, a faint smile on my face as I sat down.

Blue had finally gotten a little more comfortable as she spoke with the girl who's name was Victoria but she told us to call her Vicky.

Heat was rising with each passing second when I felt a pair of olive eyes on me. And I confirmed it when my eyes met with his.

I don't know if he was a magnet or what but I couldn't keep my eyes off him either.

□□□

I was finally home after going shopping with the girls. We knew Blue needed a new outfit- especially after today.

I got home, I ate and spent my time reading mostly but not before looking over the assignment Ms. Whatever-her-name was gave us today.

Jeez I hated teachers who did this on the first day. It was worse than homework on the first day.

I pressed my phone onto my ear as the phone rang and I waited for the other person on the line to answer. Dad was coming back in 2 weeks and I was so excited to see him and to tell him all about how my days have been. I promised to call him every night before I went to bed so that he would know I was still okay and that I survived another day without him. His words.

"Sweetheart,"

"Dad," I smiled. "How is my little girl?"

"I'm not little anymore dad. I'm 18 in a few months,"

"Doesn't change anything," I rolled my eyes and we continued to chat about his day and he asked me how my first day was and asked if I kicked some ass while he was gone which I responded with, "Of course I did."

Moments had passed and dad had to go so he wished me a goodnight. I switched off the lights.

Today was a long day and it was only about to get worse.

a/n: haven't updated in over a month. I'll be back soon