Paint

TW: themes of stalking, discussion/description of an attack and injuries

"Josuke, please."

"Nope! I absolutely will not let you ask him!"

"But he's the only one that can do it properly!" Yumiko argued, the two standing in the middle of a nearly completed nursery.

The walls were painted grey with vinyl decals of Totoros and soot sprites occasionally popping up.

All the furniture was white except for some fabrics that were a pale blue or patterned with the beloved movie character: Totoro.

"You know how I feel about that guy!" Josuke groaned, his hands dragging down his face, "why can't we just ask Noriaki?"

"Because his art style is very blocky and based on realism. Rohan is literally a mangaka, his art style has to be enjoyable and fun for all ages! He's the only one who can paint on the furniture!"

Josuke sighed, exasperated.

"Fine! Ask Rohan! But this will not be forgotten!" Josuke grumbled, grabbing piles of folded clothes and shoving them into dresser drawers as Yumiko rolled her eyes and headed to the phone downstairs to call her friend.

The two had met back when Yumiko was still in highschool through Josuke, and they both recognized each other almost immediately, knowing each other during childhood when Rohan babysat Yumiko as her parents scoured the town for Kakyoin.

Since their reunion, the two had become close friends.

"Hey Rohan," Yumiko said when the other line picked up, "I have a favour to ask of you."

"What do you need?" Rohan sighed from the other line.

"Well, we decided to go with a Totoro themed nursery and I wanted to ask if you could paint some themed decorations on the dresser and crib, like little characters or leaves?" Yumiko asked.

The request was followed by a long string of silence and then a deep sigh.

"Listen Yumiko, if this was Josuke and anyone else other than you asking me this, I would decline, no questions asked…but I care for you, so consider this a gift from me, and it's only going to happen once," Rohan finally replied.

"Yes! Thank you Rohan!" Yumiko exclaimed happily, "could you maybe come over today to take a look at things while Josuke is at work? Then you can avoid each other and I'll have someone here with me in case I need help with anything."

"Fine."

—------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! Come on in! I'll show you the nursery," Yumiko said excitedly, letting Rohan into the small house.

Rohan jumped back in surprise as Mochi charged at him, King barking from the living room before following her.

"Down you!" Rohan commanded.

"Hey! Sit!" Yumiko said sternly, the dogs sitting in front of her.

"What are those aggressive beasts for?" Rohan asked, his nose turned up at the dogs.

"Oh, well," Yumiko mumbled, grabbing a stack of papers from a drawer in the front hall console table, "this pregnancy hasn't been easy. We keep getting threats from someone and we don't know who. It's gotten a lot worse now that I'm eight months pregnant, so we got Mochi and King a few months back as guard dogs."

Rohan looked through the stack of papers, his brows knitting together in frustration.

"Isn't Josuke a cop? Shouldn't he be out catching this guy?" Rohan asked.