10

X

X

I inspected the sexy platinum-blonde man in front of me, adjusting Axton in the seat next to his. I took in the moment of my baby and his father bonding with little small talk here and there. it was Axton's soft giggles that somehow mocked Damien's raspier ones that I just couldn't help but love.

I was amazed by the small moments, but there's a bigger topic I want to discuss. I reached into my tote purse, grabbed the green-cased iPad, and handed it across the table to Axton. He bounced it lightly as he received it. "Thank you, Mommy," he let's out a toothy smile.

"You're welcome baby"

I sigh before flipping my newly well-done braids to the side that laid straight down my back and pooled a little on the cushioned seat. My little boy was distracted in his activities before I attempted to open my mouth.

"I know," he says, leaning back on his side of the booth and crossing his arms. It has been weeks since I spoke to the man, as he never fails to upset me, even when I am not in his presence.

I had to deal with non-stop threats all week from a woman who believed I killed her son. It was clear to me that it was about Jaden.

But how did she know about me and how did Damien know about that woman texting me?

I shrug off my thoughts at the sound of Damien correcting his throat, getting my attention.

"Are you feeling that stressed, sweetheart?" He tilted his head, licking his lips. I internally rolled my eyes at the stupid nickname before nodding and slouching back in my seat in defeat.

"I need a break."

I watched as the man in front of me sat up with a straightened back, holding his inked hand for me to grab. "What are you doing?"

He ignores my question so I as well sit up, wrapping my hands with his which fits perfectly. I close my eyes as he massages them, feeling myself relax.

"Y'know, you'd feel much better under the roof of mine" his voice lowers. I scoff at him, "That all depends, are you ready to tell me what happened on your five-year getaway?" I remove my hands from his palm which I knew bothered him.

"That all depends, are you ready to explain to me why now you suddenly wear the promise ring I gave to you?" he tilts his head at me. I felt my breath hitch as I quickly covered my hand from under the table.

I completely forgot I had it on!

My heart was racing as I gazed out the window, trying to calm my nerves. "Don't worry about it," I muttered under my breath. Suddenly, a deep, infectious chuckle erupted from him, sending shivers down my spine. The thrill of the moment was almost too much to handle along with my embarrassment.