Midnights- Shoto Todoroki

Once upon a time, in a small town nestled among rolling hills, there lived a man who once meant everything to me. We had grown up together, our lives intertwined like the branches of two old oak trees. We were inseparable, sharing secrets, dreams, and countless moments of laughter.

The rain poured relentlessly as I stood at the window, my heart heavy with unspoken words and shattered dreams. Next to me stood Shoto, the love of my life, his eyes filled with confusion and desperation. The room was filled with silence, the tension between us was almost suffocating.
My health had started to deteriorate. The doctors were baffled, and despite the numerous tests and consultations, they couldn't provide a clear diagnosis. My condition worsened with each passing day and I knew what was coming in the long run. But, he didn't.

One evening, as we sat on the porch swing, my voice quivered with frustration. "I don't understand," I said, my eyes welling with tears. "Why is this happening to me?"

Shoto reached out and took my hand, his grip gentle yet reassuring. "I know you don't," He replied softly, his voice filled with empathy. "But I promise, I'll be here for you no matter what."

We both believed that a cure would come through in time, that medical advancements would unlock the mysteries plaguing my body. However, as the days turned into months, the hopes began to waver. His fear of losing me overshadowed our every waking moment.

One morning, I couldn't contain the turmoil within me any longer. "Every morning," I confessed, my voice heavy with sorrow, "I wake up with you beside me. Even my own family doesn't stay with me for this long. You being here only makes this harder for me, Sho. How can you say that you love someone if you can't tell is fading?"

Shoto's eyes were filled with tears, his heart breaking at my words. "Love," He whispered, his voice choked with emotion, "It's not about what I can see. It's about what I feel. I love you, every part of you, even the parts I can't understand."

I searched his eyes, my gaze filled with doubt and longing. I knew I had to come clean right now at this very moment, or I never will.

"Do you really want to know where I was on April 29th?" I finally asked.

A profound silence enveloped the space between us, broken only by the unspoken words hanging heavy in the air.

"Why do you shy away from the truth?" I questioned, frustration seeping into my tone. "You can't bury your head in the sand forever, pretending that you're oblivious to the pain that's about to hit."

He gently cupped my face in his hands, his voice laced with tenderness. "I want to know every piece of you," He replied. "But I don't need to know every detail to love you. I want to be there for you, to hold you when you're weak and celebrate with you when you're strong."

I wanted to create a scene, to scream and make a fuss only to turn my inner regrets into the tears I've been longing to shed for all the mistakes I've made and let it all out to the man before me, but I fought the demons of my own insecurities. "Do you really want to be the bigger person again? When I can't even look at you?" I questioned, my voice wavering. "I hate the kindness you show me. I hate the fact that no matter what I do, I know you'll always forgive me..."

He smiled through his own tears, his voice filled with white devotion. "No, my love," He said, his voice like a soothing melody. "You don't have to explain everything. Just trust that I see the beauty in you, even when you can't see it in yourself."

I took a deep breath, my fragile heart yearning for understanding. "You know," I whispered, my voice barely audible, "There are many different ways that you can kill the one you love, the slowest way is never loving them enough."