The Last Wish

"You can just set him on the bed," Yennefer says, motioning to the large bed in the same room Visenya had her first meeting with the mage. Visenya sets Jaskier onto the bed, treating him like she would an object made of glass. She adjusts his head so that his neck would be properly comfortable. He seems in a state of relaxation, the frantic look in his eyes fading. He'd look serene if not for the dried blood on the edge of his mouth and clothes. She brushes the hair on his forehead back. His skin is clammy, and she curses her natural warmth. She could bring Jaskier no other comfort. All there is to do is wait, and hope Yennefer can save him.

Visenya turns, watching Yennefer pull out a number of alchemical ingredients and a mortar and pestle. She crushes fragrant herbs together and whispers an incantation in a foreign language. It's similar to Elvish, but harsher than she'd heard before.

"It's a mixture that'll put him into a stasis-like sleep so that he may heal," Yennefer says, then turns and meets Visenya gaze. "He won't feel a thing."

Visenya wordlessly nods, continuing to glance around the room. On their way to the room, Yennefer had sent Geralt away to bathe, saying something about him smelling up the entire building. While true, Visenya has a feeling that isn't Yennefer's only reason for sending him away. It brings brief relief. Maybe she'd read the conversation they shared all wrong.

"How long will it take for him to heal?" Visenya asks, moving across the room to be closer to Yennefer.

"By dawn he will be back to normal, not a trace of the djinn's influence left on him," Yennefer says, throwing a strange liquid into her mixture of herbs. She walks over to Jaskier as does Visenya. She keeps a close eye on Yennefer akin to a mother watching over a cub. Yennefer opens Jaskier's mouth and pours the mixture in. He doesn't resist, eyes closing as he breathes in deeply, Yennefer reciting another incantation, louder this time.

After a few moments she stops and steps away from Jaskier.

"There. Now he can begin to heal," Yennefer says, a self-satisfied grin pulling on her lips.

Visenya scans the room, pausing at the end of the bed on the ground. Drawn on the floor is a strange symbol, unlit candles surrounding it. "Strange decorative choice."

Yennefer's eyes follow hers, body tightening ever so slightly. "It's a mage thing, part of my night time ritual, now--"

She sashays around the bed, the fabric of her dress floating behind her. The tips of her fingers lightly trace Visenya's skin as she passes. "I've done my part, now it's time to do yours Visenya Targaryen."

"I'd rather not. I need to speak with Geralt; to update him on Jaskier," Visenya says, glancing at the shut door.

"Trust me, your Witcher is quite alright in the bath. Relax, I can't imagine you've had the opportunity in quite a while, what with all your traveling." Yennefer says, walking to the other side of the room with the lightness of a summer breeze. She takes a seat on the cushioned couch, patting the spot beside her. She reaches over to the side table and grabs a decanter of red wine, pouring it into two glasses.

Visenya looks at her, then Jaskier, then the door, and finally back at Yennefer. After a moment she crosses the room, sitting by Yennefer, who hands her a glass of wine. Visenya apprehensively smells it, the mixture of spices making it smell like autumn. Only after Yennefer takes a drink does Visenya drink from her own goblet. She takes a small sip, finding that it smoothly goes down and tastes just as delicious as it smells.

"That's it, see how easy that was. Now tell me, when did your magic manifest?" Yennefer abruptly breaks the ice, intently looking at Visenya's neutral expression.