xvi. 🧸

chapter 16

Edmund, as usual, was sitting with a smirk plastered on his handsome face.

"hello, Edmund.  yes I'm still taking care of Hadley; no I'm not selling him to gross, old perverts."

Edmund shrugged his shoulders and laughed.

"I can tell you're exhausted; a handful now, isn't he?  it's because you spoil him."

"I know that!  I don't need you to say it, so shut the f*ck up.  damn…  look, let's just clock in and start this shift."

just then, Pollyanna received the text from Montague, saying that he'd gotten home.

Montague sighed, settling back into his home for the first time in months.  the place felt foreign to him.  it took a long time for that wound to heal; Pollyanna's hands were like magic.

he hated he felt like that, but there was no way to deny that he couldn't stop thinking about her - he was suddenly jealous of Hadley, that he had her all to himself.

"dammit, no!"  he slammed the wall with his fist in frustration.

"how the f*ck did that happen?  she's cute, but…  F*CK!  alright, calm down, Monty.  it'll pass.  it's just infatuation."

"meow!"

just then, Montague turned his head to see a brown cat in his window.

"a cat?  there aren't many of those around here."

"meow!"  the cat tilted its head, peering at him curiously.

"hm, you're cute."  Monty walked away to go take a shower.  the cat jumped off the window to explore something else.

when Montague went to his bedroom, his plans to have a "self-love" session were completely ruined by the same cat he saw downstairs.

"meow?"

"ugh, please f*ck off.  I need this."  Montague closed the curtain, but the cat was still on the other side.

"meow!"

"alright, that's enough."

Montague stepped outside his house and found the cat.  he picked it up by its scruff and sat it in a neighbor's yard with no visible places to easily climb up.

"that should keep you away.  see ya."

before Montague could even close the door to his house, somehow the cat dashed in out of his sight, meaning it was in his house without his knowledge.

this ain't no ordinary cat.

after Montague had gone to bed, Olive changed back into his neko form.

"oooh, this is a nice place.  a little plain-looking for my taste, but it's comfortable."

he raided the fridge for a couple slices of meat and curled up on the couch.