Chapter 3 - Better Be...

Dahlia had no difficulties boarding the train, although there were many people on the platform nobody paid her any attention. Even if there were people looking for 'Dahlia Potter' they had absolutely no idea what she looked like and that suited her just fine.

She had no wish to entertain the adoring public. Not wanting to be surrounded by children, she went to the last compartment on the train, closed the door and hoped that nobody would disturb her. She took her trunk from her pocket, enlarged it and changed into her uniform immediately. Seeing as the train would take a while to arrive she chose to take a book out as well. Having done everything she needed she put her trunk in the rack above her seat, sat herself in a comfortable position and started reading her book. It was a book about runes for beginners she had bought but hadn't had the opportunity to finish. She found it rather fascinating, and could hardly wait to have the subject. She didn't understand why they only started it in their 3rd year. Sure it was a little difficult, but it was like learning a new language, the younger you started the easier it would be for your brain to create the pathways necessary for you to speak it.

Almost twenty minutes after she arrived she heard the whistle signalling the departure of the train and Dahlia felt her excitement growing. She was finally going to Hogwarts. Dahlia had spent a lot of time thinking about how she was going to behave. She ended up concluding that the best thing to do was to wait and see. The books she had read had indicated that she was seen as some kind of hero and that she was rather famous. That meant that people would keep their eyes on her and any little thing she did would be judged and gossiped about. Something she loathed but it couldn't be changed so she just had to be a little more careful, she was sure that she could do it.

She also found out that most of the population were rather prejudiced against wizards that came from muggle families and those that were half-bloods. It was rather stupid in her opinion, for her magical blood was magical blood; she didn't really care where they came from as long as they were useful. But all that contributed to her decision. She would wait, learn more about the society, see how they would react to her and then choose her path. She was still young, she had time. Dahlia was rather enjoying the train ride, a blond boy had looked into her compartment, looked at her book and went away, aside from that only the trolley lady had disturbed her peace which made her rather happy. 

Unfortunately her luck couldn't last forever and her peace and quiet was rudely interrupted. The door of her compartment was violently opened, hitting the wall and a girl with bushy brown hair, followed by a round-faced boy who looked to be on the verge of tears entered her compartment. Dahlia looked at them expressionless, she was a little peeved about the interruption and also about the way they entered her compartment.

"Have you seen a toad?" the girl asked and Dahlia noticed that she had rather large front teeth,

"Neville lost his, we are trying to find it."

Dahlia assumed that Neville was the boy with the round face. Who the hell would want a toad as a pet? But as it had nothing to do with her she answered with a simple "No." and promptly went back to her reading. If the both of them were even a little bit intelligent they would realized that she was dismissing them and that she would like to be alone. However it appeared that neither of them understood what she was implying. Oh God, she hoped that not all the students had their level of intelligence.

"Oh, that book wasn't on the student list, was it? When you're finished could you lend it to me? My parents are muggles, you know? I knew nothing about magic. But I read all my books and all the spells I tried worked perfectly, of course."

Dahlia had to control herself so as to not curse the girl. She couldn't stand her type. There were a few like her in her old school. They could be relatively intelligent but they had too much faith in books and authority figures, they didn't have one original thought in their minds. And they always had that superior attitude, as if they were God's gift to mortals. And if someone had better grades than them then they must have cheated because it was impossible for someone to be better than them. And this girl had that same air and that was more than enough for Dahlia to want nothing to do with her, taking all that into consideration, there really was only one possible answer that Dahlia could give her.