Chapter One

*16 Years Later*

Tiang Fei POV

I groaned as I turned over and pushed something down which fell with a loud thud. I opened my eyes groggily and glanced at the person lying on the floor.

"Ling Xiaobao" I got up and shook my best friend who cease lying asleep on the floor.
Jeez.
If there was a tornado going on, he would sleep through it.
"Hey you punk! Wake up!" I dragged his ear and he stirred flapping my fingers away.
"Leave me Tiang Tiang" he murmured half asleep. "You bastard! Wake up!" I hit him with a pillow.
"Fine, fine".

I stood up and glanced around the trashed living room. I and Ling Xiaobao had an epic Call of Duty showdown throughout the night and I ended up sleeping over. "Jeez bro, we really trashed your place huh?" I stretched and grabbed my phone checking for any messages or missed calls.

"It's all your fault, you kept ordering for more chicken" Ling Xiaobao pouted on the floor.
I rolled my eyes.
"Tiang Tiang, you're responsible for this so you have to clean it up" he added. "No chance" I scoffed putting on my jacket and slipping on my shoes.
"What do you mean 'No Chance'?" He yelled. "I'm having a girl over for brunch".

I shrugged and made for the door but he held my legs pleadingly like some beggar.
"Tiang Tiang! You can't leave, you promised to help me cook breakfast" Ling Xiaobao whined and I pulled out from his grip.
"Stop being such a baby" I hissed and walked out leaving Ling Xiaobao trashing the floor like a child.
"Tiang Tiang! Tiang Tiang! Come back here!"

*                      *.                        *

"Tiang Fei" I heard Mother's voice as I stepped in the villa.
"Good morning Mother"
She ran downstairs before hugging me and checking me all over.
"Where have you been?" She asked.
"I was at Ling Xiaobao's place" I answered and she sighed in relief before placing a hand on her chest.
"You're a wild child"
I chuckled.
"I better go freshen up" I said and dashed upstairs.

But as I reached the top I bumped into Tiang Bi and Lan Rhong.

My gaze fell to their interwoven hands.
"Junior cousin" she beamed.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Tiang Fei"
I turned towards Lan Rhong.
I didn't need a translator to understand that Tiang Bi and Lan Rhong were getting very close lately. My heart twinged.
"Brother Lan" I composed myself and gave a brig smile.
Suddenly a bracelet was pushed into my field of vision. "Junior cousin, see what Brother Lan got me! It's very beautiful isn't it?" She chirped up with an underlying tone of mockery.

"It's very nice Older cousin, if you excuse me I have to change" I said sharply and walked up another flight of steps.

"Brother Lan, is Junior cousin angry with me?"
"Why would you say that?"
"She's different and I don't want to make her angry. She's my cousin".
I scoffed as I walked through the hallways, angering me was what Tiang Bi wanted the most. Ever since we were little, Tiang Bi had gone out of her way to prove that I was inferior.
She was the golden child of the Tiangs and was doted beyond comprehension while I was forgotten and ignored most of the time.

Tiang Bi had topped the cake today, she knew, I had a major crush on Lan Rhong and she was spiting me by getting close to him. Well she could have him.
I had told him that I liked him back then when we were in high school but he rejected me and I stupidly continued having feelings for him.
Argh.

I entered my room and took my bath before changing into a purple dress with a black waist belt and pulled my hair into a ponytail.
Nanny Ahn popped her head into my closet where I was. "Second Miss, your Mother wants you down for breakfast".
I internally groaned.
I avoided any group eating with my family. Aunt Yi and Uncle Lu would continually praise Tiang Bi and insult me while Grandfather and Grandmother did nothing.

"Can I skip it" I pleaded.
Nanny Ahn gave me a sharp look.
I groaned.
"Fine I'll be down in a minute".
"That's better".

*.                      *.                         *

I eyed my food and poked my Kung Pao chicken repeatedly.
Mother sat by my right and Father at my left while Tiang Bi was opposite me with Uncle Lu opposite Father and Aunt Yi opposite Mother besides Grandmother and Grandfather who sat at the head of the table.

"Tiang Bi, I  noticed Lan Rhong has been coming here quite often" Aunt Yi said to Tiang Bi.
"Yes, yes, I've also noticed that too, you too are quite close" Grandmother added.
"Grandma! We're not that close" Tiang Bi blushed and I gagged.
"And he's from a very respectable family, the Lans are quite influential" Grandmother continued.
Tiang Bi blushed harder.

"Tiang Bi dear" Aunt Yi placed her hand on her shoulder. "If you like him, don't hesitate to tell us, we'll talk to the Lans okay?".
"Mother" Tiang Bi smiled.
"Oh hush, nothing is too much for my Tiang Bi, after all you're the true daughter of the family" Aunt Yi said and I sensed an underlying tone of accusations.
I quirked an eyebrow.
Was she indirectly referring to me?

"Mother" Tiang Bi voice chirped up again and I internally groaned.
Didn't she ever shut up?
She showcased her bracket
"Wow! Tiang Bi who gave that to you?" Aunt Yi asked in a pitchy voice
Oh please!
There's no need to act all clueless, I knew she knew Lan Rhong gave it to her.
It was all just to spite me.

"Isn't it beautiful Mother?" Tiang Bi boasted and I clenched my fork even harder.
"He must care about you so much for him to spend so much on you"
"It's so beautiful".

I just couldn't take it anymore.

"Argh! Tiang Bi, we've heard, your precious bracelet is so beautiful, so expensive, no need to brag" I snapped.
"Brag? Junior cousin what are you talking about?" Tiang Bi looked like she was close to tears. Ah shit, stop all this charade.

"Is it true Mother? Am...I bragging? If so, I'm really sorry..."

"No no darling, you're not bragging" Aunt Yi wiped her fake tears before abruptly facing me. "Tiang Fei, you know how delicate your cousin is, do you want to see her cry? You should apologize".
"Mother don't yell at Junior cousin, it was just an outburst".

I rolled my eyes, always the Melodramatic.

"Well Tiang Fei?, Apologize to Tiang Bi right away" Grandmother ordered.
"But I did nothing wrong" I mumbled .
Mother shot me a look.
"Fine... sorry Older cousin... happy now?" I huffed and stormed out, not feeling like eating anymore.

"Tsk! Yu Keer, you should handle that girl of yours well, she almost made Tiang Bi cry" Grandmother said to mother.
"Yes Yuem" Mother telling.

(Yuem: Chinese for 'Mother-in -law)