Chapter 4 - Ashton

Ashton

Walking around campus I knew there was only one place to go before class started. Starbucks. A ritual before the first day of any class I had that day. I was entering the first year of my last year as an undergraduate. I would finally have my degree in Biology after this year. My internship for the summer was already lined up. Everything is perfect.

Leaving Economics I began walking back to my sorority house. I had been an Alpha my entire time here and finally I was one of the Seniors. The big red bricked house homed 24 girls this year. Not exactly record breaking for a house with 14 bedrooms but I finally get my own room for the first time in my entire life.

Heaven, my twin sister and I had been sharing since the womb. Literally. And when she decided not to pledge into a Sorority I thought I would be on my own then. But all first years are four to a room, three for Sophomore's, and two a room for Juniors. It made sense to get through with rooms and wasn't much different for me. 

I walked up the steps and looked around for my name on one of the Senior doors. 'ASH' there it was. My very own room. I opened the door to see all of my things already hung and decorated for me. The great thing about a Sorority house is the maids and butlers that keep the house tidy. Of course we help, but who wouldn't enjoy living such a lavish life after living with five siblings their entire lives. This was the dream of college life younger me had always dreamed of, and I got to live it myself.

"Ash!" Pink haired sorority leader Madison came running in my room. She was one of the sweetest girls I had ever met! She was sweet and nice to literally everyone which is why we all had voted her in as our leader over Summer. 

"Madie!" I screeched back. "The room is perfect!"

"Good! I gave a few notes myself, but I knew you'd love it." She was correct. I hadn't ever argued with any decisions made since I've been here. I'm probably one of the more quiet sisters.

"Yes! I love it so much!" I hugged her. We had gotten close since we pledged in together freshman year.

"It's so you. I'm just reminding everyone of our welcome back to school party tonight." Oh yes. The partying season never dies. More like partying years if you ask me. 

"Yes! I'm about to get ready now! I remember we are welcoming people soon!" The tradition of standing around the entrance to welcome people into our mansion singing our Alpha Moto had been an ongoing tradition since well before my time.

"Good. We are wearing white for clean beginnings." Usually pink would have been the choice. The change must have been so she wouldn't have to dye her hair another color for the outfit.

Madison's hair was beginning to thin from dying her hair many times over the years, maybe she's starting to notice. I know I had over the years.

"Yes. I remember! Thank you for the reminder." I replied. She smiled and scurried out of the room on to the next senior to congratulate and remind them as well. 

I turned back to my room taking in another breath. "Let's get dressed." I said to myself half encouraging myself.

Parties had never been my scene but I've gotten more comfortable over the years. I turned to the closet and opened it up to all of my clothes hanging perfectly off of the wooden hangers. Time to pick something comfortable, but acceptable.

After my shower I sat at my vanity applying the last of my blush before setting my light makeup with setting spray. This was it. Time for the first of many lasts of this experience.

I stood up in my white skin tight dress. If I was going to wear flats something had to give at least. I took one last look in the full body mirror in the corner of my room fixing some of my brown curls that had gotten out of place with my movement. My golden cross hanging from my neck as always. White vans. I wouldn't be long but I had to make sure I could still walk to class tomorrow.

As the guests poured in we sang out anthem with our hearts and then began welcoming people in. The DJ got started immediately bringing the vibes up. I made my way through the sea of people out to the backyard. If I was going to survive I was going to need fresh air for sure. Moving through the crowd it was definitely more people than we have had at other school openers. I tried squeezing my way through the people bumping and saying 'excuse me' along my way.

Just then I got bumped harder than before and fell to the ground. As I hit the ground to my hands and knees, everything went silent. I looked up. Not a soul in sight. I looked outside to the now dark backyard saw something silver flash across the yard.

I stood to my feet. I began to creep forward looking around for signs of anyone nearby. Nothing.

"What the hell?" I asked myself.

More movement outside caught my eye again. I inched forward out of curiosity. That's when I locked eyes with the depths of my soul. Soul-less black eyes stared into me. I couldn't quite see the figure but I could definitely feel the shivering cold breeze that was forming in the room. A huge gust of wind flew me back, making me land back on butt. As I hit the ground again there they were as if they had never left. The music. The legs. Everyone was here.

I was grabbed by the arms by Madison and helped to my feet.

"Watch where you guys are going!" Maddison screamed to the people standing around watching her help me up. They continued their conversations right after.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

"I- I don't know." I answered looking into the lit backyard looking for those soul-less eyes.