Chapter 2 - Caitlyn

Caitlyn Pierce.

Something about leaving behind everything you've known for the unknown in a new city is something that High School does not prepare you for. Becoming so familiar with life from birth till adulthood, nothing could prepare a child for college.

The drive from San Francisco to San Diego was the longest I had ever driven, but the views the entire way were unbelievable. The California coast is absolutely breathtaking. Seeing the waves crashing the rocky shore, the birds flying in perfect formation, in combination with that fresh ocean smell made the drive better and better as I continued down the coast. only 3 more hours and I would be in my new home, at least for the next four years.

As the radio played the greatest hits of the 90's I sang my heart out to Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby". I grew up loving when my mother would clean the house listening to classic songs. It felt right to be sending myself into my new home with essence of her. Although soon it would be nightfall.

As I continued to drive I couldn't help but think about the last conversation I had with my mother. The sadness she had about her little girl leaving home to go so far away for college. I tried to reassure her that since we would be in the same state I would be able to visit regularly on breaks.

The sun kept receding over the horizon marking the final hours of my trip. I kept driving knowing it wouldn't be long until I was at the hotel for the night. As I kept changing from music to podcasts along the drive I began to think about my future. A degree from San Diego University in Political Science had been my dream for the last year. Law school after then to be a practicing Lawyer. I couldn't imagine not becoming the absolute best version of myself then. I had planned everything.

Just as I came to a stop light exiting the highway finally I felt a weird cold sensation, all of the hair on my body stood up. I looked ahead at the red light brushing off the feeling. Could just be the knew jitters, I thought, or maybe even the cold air at the new nightfall. Not a car in sight. That's weird. Maybe that is the new norm of the town.

Just as I thought things wouldn't get any weirder a dark fog began to roll in. Confused I stayed at the red light awaiting to see if I was just imagining things. I hooded dark figure began to emerge from what looked like nothing the fog into a huge figure in front of my car. My headlights were reflecting off of the figure, so this has to be real I thought.

Suddenly rain began pouring down extremely hard thunder and lightning striking all around me. Fear surged through my body as I tighten up. The figure began moving closer and closer to my car right up to the hood. The rain felt like it was going to come right through the roof.

A car suddenly honked its horn behind me, striking me back to the present. Rain gone, light green, fog completely gone. It was as if nothing had ever happened.