~Zwei~

I went to my favorite spot in the entire school to ditch with Marley, the band room. There was a whole room where they used to keep instruments that we had decked out with old christmas lights, beanbag chairs, a mini-fridge, a bookshelf, a radio, and other shit to make it this sweet little hangout where Marley and I could chill in. Jill, the band teacher, didn't really care if we skipped or not. She loves us like we were her own little kids, and let us come hang out whenever we wanted to.

I scrolled through Jay's page on my phone, inspecting each video, picture, and post with a watchful eye, searching for something to judge him with. I wasn't homophobic or anything, I just didn't like him. Or trust him. 

Marley glanced up at me. She was sitting in her beanbag chair shoveling chips into her mouth. She leaned forward, chip crumbs sprinkling off of her sweater. "Are you still stalking the new boy?" she asked, craning her neck to try and see over my shoulder. I turned my phone away instinctively, which provoked a series of "ooo's" and "awww's" from her. 

I didn't know why or how Marley and I had become best friends. She was annoying, clingy, and had no respect for most people, including me. But we'd been super close since second grade, when we both got sat at the same desk for both being troublemakers. We'd laughed at our teacher's awful hairstyle and fashion sense for almost two hours before she got fed up and seperated us, but after that we always tried to sit together. We got along great, which was weird since we had little to nothing in common. I mean, Marley was a total ass-kicking lesbian that didn't take shit from any man, and I only looked like an ass-kicker. I was popular, but Marley was more of an outcast. She was usually shoved to the side when I was in the middle of the crowd, which was fine with her. She didn't like people as much as I did, and was content with hanging out with me in the band room instead of out in the open.

"I'm not stalking him," I retorted. "I'm conducting research."

Marley pretended to push up a pair of glasses and made her voice all nasally. "I'm, actually, I'm conductingth researcth," she spluttered, spitting purposefully. I held up my arm to keep from getting spit in the face.

"Ew, Marley," I complained. 

"Don't use big words, nerd," she said simply.

I glared at her. She knew I hated that. I was popular. I was smart, got good grades, and occasionally wore glasses, but I was still popular. I was attractive, I was strong, I was tough, and a lot of the girls here liked me. I just didn't really like any of them. I think its just this school, though. If I was anywhere else I'd be having sex every other night like the jocks did. I wasn't a total workaholic, but I got my shit done on time and I did it right. I didn't do sports, but I worked out as much as I could at home and I had the muscles to show for it. But they were almost nothing compared to Jay's brawn, and that made me feel a little insecure. Seriously- how ripped can a sixteen year old be before they admit they're injected full of steroids? He has to be at least six foot, too, and was built like a walking, talking, European brick wall. I could still see that hungry way the girls looked at him, like they were all ready to pounce on him. 

Marley leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs. "Jesus, Abe."

"What?!?" I cried. What was she judging now?

Marley shook her head in disbelief. "You're worse than the girls in class. You are just as obsessed with Jay as they are! Look at the way you're droolin-"

"Shut up!" I cried, tossing my phone to the floor. "I'm not obsessed, I just don't trust him. I want to keep an eye on him!"

Marley rolled her eyes. "Pfft, yeah right. You're totally smitten."

I wrinkled my nose at her, giving her an icy glare. I wasn't gay. I didn't like boys in that way, and besides, there was no way I would ever like someone like Jay. Sure he was extremely hot and popular, and maybe a little charming, and his accent was kind of sexy, but he wasn't my type. My type was a girl. It'd always been girls, I told myself sternly. 

Besides, why would Jay like me anyways? It was kind of weird. All of those girls at his fingertips, a power that every guy in our grade wished they had, and Jay wasn't even bisexual. He only liked guys, but the girls were still swooning over his every move. It sort of pissed me off. Everything about Jay pissed me off, for no good reason, but that didn't mean that it made it any better.

Stupid. Stupid Jay fucking Salazar.

Marley watched me closely, still shaking her head.