Chapter 2: Zany

May 15th, 2009
Anaïs McNabb
Birthdate: July 1st, 1997
Birthplace: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Hey folks, I'm Anaïs McNabb. Growing up in Gatineau, Quebec, I've always dreamed of being an architect ever since I visited the parliament building in Ottawa with my family when I was 3 by participating in architecture clubs throughout my childhood. I wouldn't say I was lonely as I had my adopted brother, Ray, our basenji, Rizzie, and my Uncle Llyod around me.

Ray often took me hiking at Gatineau Park to enjoy nature and it's abandoned architecture. Rizzie, and I would often get into many shenanigans, such as howling at night, even if it annoyed the neighbours. And Uncle Llyod told stories and showed pictures of him and our parents during childhood before their sudden departure. Though Uncle Llyod assured me that I was their pride and joy after many attempts and that they would return one day, I was upset about their absence throughout my childhood. Little did I know, that it was connected to something much bigger that would change our lives completely.

There's also my two best friends, Ladonne and Ashley Bilodeau, who often visit us from neighbouring city, Ottawa and Ray's best friend, and my crush, Tru Matteo who moved here from Montreal with his family when he was 4. Ladonne would often show me pictures of animals and plants she captured in Ottawa, Ashley would teach me how to play an air guitar, and Tru would compliment on my architecture skills as I improved and supported me when I felt discouraged. Everything was perfect before that dreaded day.

Like any school day, I would eat breakfast with Ray. "Hey, Ray, wanna race?" I said. " I'm not in the mood, An", he said, rather annoyed. As he picked up his backpack and walked to the door, I picked up my backpack and zoomed by. "Anaïs undefeated," I cheered. "Real mature, An," grumbled Ray. "Aww, the sound of a sore loser?," I said, puckering my lips.

"Hey, you two," called Uncle Llyod. "Is everything ready?,". "Yes, sir," I said Ray. "Aye, aye, captain," I said , saluting. We headed out to the front door, but not before Uncle Llyod stopped us."Do you have your bracelets on?" he asked. " We looked at our blue bracelets showing our name and student number."Yeah, why do we need them?," Ray asked "There's a test happening at your school and it's mandatory that you bring it with you,". Uncle Lloyd replied.

Remember the dreaded day I was talking about? In wake of the sprite crisis, our school was unfortunately selected by the T.O.Us to do the sprite test, a practical test where a person was put in a separate room and had to hold a magnet, based on whether there a sprite or not. If the magnet repelled; the person is free to go, but if the magnet attracted; the person gets a trip to the T.O.U.

"Hey, Uncle, by any chance did you get in contact with our parents after the exams?" I asked. Silence echoed through the house. I'll tell you what, when you come back from school, we'll talk about this", said Uncle Llyod, breaking his silence.

As we entered the bus, Uncle Llyod's words still lingered over my head. "9 years! It's been nothing but postcards, gifts, and pictures! Why can't we see them now?!," I sobbed. Ray tried to calm me down. "As Uncle Lloyd promised, he'll explain everything,". Though unsatisfied with his response, I reluctantly agreed.

As we rode the bus, we stared at the at the virtual billboard of a toothpaste commercial, when it started glitching. In its place was some person in a silky worm suit.

"My name is Army, and I come with an important message", said the worm. "The time has come to put an end to this discrimination. For far too long, the T.O.U. has oppressed us, tearing apart families, taking away rights, and treating us like animals in public. This has been made worse with the dreaded Sprite test embedded everywhere in our society. It's time for them to know that sprites have rights,". I looked at the billboard, convinced that this was some publicity stunt. But looking back, I'm glad we got the message. "And to all non-sprite supporters out there, I would like to say thank you for your support,"Army continued."Hold on, they actually exist?," I thought. "Without you, this would never have been possible,".