Magical Disaster (Cassandra)

(Chapter warning: References of attempted unaliving)

Cassandra checked the clock from her bed, just barely able to make it out in the dark. 1 AM. She rolled over and peered at Varian in the bed next to her, hearing his soft snores. She yanked the covers up above her head and tried to doze off. She was seconds from succeeding when the door to Varian and her's palace bedroom was flung open by a very distraught Pete the Guard.

"Mrs. Cassandra! Mr. Varian!" Pete yelled, nearly falling through the door.

"Whaddaya want?!?" Cassandra asked grouchily as Varian quietly and sleepily murmured "D-did you need something?" Pete's short, wheezing breaths rang in the silent room. "Unless something is on fire, let us sleep," Cassandra sassed.

"It's Rapunzel," Pete wheezed. Varian and Cassandra both sat bolt upright.

"W-what do you mean?" Varian asked, voice shaking.

"She's sick. Very sick. And... she saw something. She's asking for you both. And Opal," Pete replied, gasping for breath, evidently having sprinted all the way from Rapunzel's room. Varian rolled off the bed to stand up, stumbled, stood, and walked to his bedside table to get a glass of water for Pete. Cassandra stood as well and put a hand on Pete's shoulder.

"Thank you, Pete," she said softly. "You should stay here and rest for a minute."

"B-but, ma'am!" Pete protested. Varian walked over, handed Pete a glass of water, and gently pushed him by his shoulders onto the edge of Cassandra's bed.

"We insist," Varian said, before turning and quickly walking out the door, Cassandra right behind him.

————————————————————————

Cassandra walked into Rapunzel's room... and stopped cold. Rapunzel was curled in her canopied bed, face pale, dark freckles standing out starkly.

"R-Raps?" Cassandra asked, worry evident in her voice. Rapunzel's eyes fluttered open slowly.

"Cass..." she said weakly, and smiled. Varian then moved into her field of vision. "Good, you're both here... Where's Opal?" she asked. The little black-haired girl bounced into the room, as if on cue, followed by Stan the Guard. The bounce immediately left her step as she saw Rapunzel.

"A-Auntie Raps?" Opal's voice quivered.

"Hi Opal," Rapunzel smiled. She gave a weak cough.

"What did you need us to come here for?" Cassandra asked. Rapunzel put a hand to her head as if she had suddenly gotten a splitting headache.

"This sickness... it isn't normal..." Rapunzel coughed once more. "I-it's a magical sickness. Before I got sick, I had visions..." Varian visibly paled next to Cassandra.

"What do you mean, visions?" he asked.

"The Great Tree... is back. The rest of the visions make no sense except..." Rapunzel trailed off.

"Except... what?" Cassandra questioned. Rapunzel coughed twice in quick succession.

"I saw you... Varian... Opal... Eugene... and Lance. Going to the Great Tree. I saw..." She coughed. "A flower, one just like the Sundrop. And... I just knew that that flower was the only thing that could heal this... sickness..." Rapunzel said quietly.

"The Great Tree?" Cassandra asked. "That terrible place? The Great Tree where Hector nearly murdered all of us?!? That Great Tree?!?"

"Uncle Hector nearly killed you guys?" Now that's a story I have to hear," Varian said, turning to Cassandra. He saw Cassandra glaring at him, and immediately turned back to Rapunzel. "Right, anecdote sharing later." Cassandra moved forward and kneeled next to Rapunzel's bed.

"So, you're telling us we have to go to the Great Tree or else..." Cassandra was interrupted by another cough from Rapunzel.

"It won't be good," finished Varian. Cassandra stood and turned to face her husband and daughter.

"I guess have to go get Lance and Fitzherjerk."