14

I feel like I've been run over by a truck, then that truck backed up and ran over me again for good measure. Two days of lying here, and it's getting real cozy with the dust bunnies under my bed. I don't even know if it's day or night anymore; my curtains are doing a bang-up job of keeping me in the dark, both literally and figuratively.

Breathing is like a wrestling match with an invisible opponent. Every inhale feels like someone's jabbing a hot poker into my ribs, and exhaling? Well, that's like trying to deflate a balloon that doesn't want to give up. I might be dying, who knows?

Moving is a distant dream. Even the idea of wiggling my toes sends shockwaves of pain through my entire body. I've become one with my mattress, a human pancake. I'm laying completely shirtless because clothes hurt.

The pain meds Renata got me might as well be Tic Tacs for all the good they're doing. I pop them like candy, but the pain doesn't give a damn. It's set up camp in my body, built a little fire, and is roasting marshmallows on my damn spine. I should start charging it rent.

My phone's been buzzing, but I've been ignoring it. I'm not ready to face Vi or Caitlyn's worry. Let them think I'm off missing, or kicking ass at work. The reality is I can't even kick my own blanket off without triggering an earthquake of pain.

I've had some deep thoughts during these two days of solitude. Like, why don't they make beds with built-in snack dispensers? Or maybe invent a teleportation device so I can just zap myself to the fridge?

i can feel light tears fog my vision. i cant take this anymore. i need a real docters help, and some good medacin. Claggor. no, i cant. thats the last thing I should do. He'll know somethings up.

- if you need anything call Sevika

That's what Renata told me. She'll probably slip me poison. Oh well. I weakly pick up my phone and put the call on speaker. It rings three times before she answers.

"I'm busy, what do you want?" I think I'm going to pass out.

"Drugs" I tell her reluctantly, my face stuffed in my mattress.

"...... what the fuck? I'm not your plug, call someone else" Renata didn't tell her, lovely.

"Sevika, Renata told me to call you. Please........ just get me the drugs, the medical kind for pains. Apartment.... 516, last room, right." I hang up, and just lay still in pain. I wish I'd never took this job, I wish I never moved here.

I think I'm going to break things off with Vi, she doesn't deserve to get dragged into whatever this is, if she ever found out, I don't know what she'd do. Does she know that her little sister is a psychopath? I almost killed jet little sister, I need to break things off, for both our sakes.

And she's an enforcer, she's perfect. And I'm some street fighter, and "assistant manager" to a crime lord. She's way to good for me, and the only thing I'd bring into her life is problems.

Maybe I should move out all together.

I hear my door crack open and shut. heavy footsteps make their way over to my bed side. "That looks ugly" Sevika points out placing the bottle of pain killers on my night stand.

She picks up the empty one that Renata gave me. "You finish these?" "Yeah" I don't want to get up.

"You look like shit." Sevika's tone is surprisingly casual, and for a moment, I appreciate the bluntness. No sugarcoating here.

I let out a dry chuckle, "Thanks for the compliment." I attempt to prop myself up on my elbows, but a sharp pain shoots through my ribs, and I quickly flop back down.

how embarrassing-

she helps me up gently, i wince in pain as i weakly hold the sheet to my chest. "You're lucky I have some connections. These are stronger. Take one, not more than that"

I nod weakly and reach for the new bottle, struggling to open it. Sevika takes it from my hands and opens it for me, placing a two pills in my palm. "Thanks," I mutter.

She eyes me for a moment, a mix of annoyance and something resembling concern in her expression. "Renata told me you got yourself into a mess. What happened?"

I debate whether to tell her the whole truth, but something stops me. "Just a job gone wrong. Nothing I couldn't handle." I give her a weak smile, hoping she buys it. The less people know about my personal life, the better.

Sevika snorts, "you look like your handling it just fine"

"uh huh" I mumble, trying to avoid eye contact.

She studies me for a moment before sighing, "Look, if you're going to stay alive in this line of work, you need to toughen up. You can't afford to show weakness, not to anyone." My back it practically BROKEN, the fuck you meant don't show weakness????

"I know," I reply, swallowing the pill with a sip of water. "You're a mess, you know that?"

"No shit," I mutter, feeling a mixture of frustration and self-pity. Sevika moves around the room, picking up clothes and tossing them into a corner. I feel a bit exposed, lying there shirtless, but I'm too tired and in pain to care.

"You need a shower," she declares, eyeing me critically.

"I need a lot of things, Sevika." She rolls her eyes, "Well, you're getting a shower."

I don't argue. The idea of a shower sounds both heavenly and daunting. Slowly, with Sevika's help, I manage to stand up. Pain shoots through my back, and I hiss through clenched teeth.

"You're pathetic," Sevika comments, handing me a fresh set of clothes. "Now, let's get you cleaned up before I throw up from the stench."

The shower is both a relief and torture. The hot water feels like it's burning my skin, but at the same time, it eases some of the tension in my muscles. Sevika stays in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet seat.

After what feels like an eternity, I manage to drag myself out of the shower, feeling a bit more human but still far from okay.

"Better?" she asks."Yeah, thanks," I reply, sarcasm dripping from my voice. She helps me back to bed and sits down on the ground, leaning against the wall.

"Just go, don't pretend to care." I mumble, my face stuffed in my pillow. "Believe it or not, I'd rather you alive" I smirk.

"You saying you like me sev?"

"Don't call me that"