Egg Theory

I sat high in the tree, watching my closest friends laugh and cheer over my coffin. Of course, not my body, that was in the tree. A tear streamed down my face as my lover smiled at their surroundings, joining in on the festivities.

It had been a week since my "death." I had watched from the shadows as everyone I knew— and even people I didn't— got more and more excited each day. The meticulously crafted "dead body" lay in the coffin, now nailed in for eternity as it was lowered into the ground.

"The experiment had been completed," a voice rang out suddenly, nearly knocking me from my high-up perch. "All participants may return to their posts."

The funeral attendees began to filter out of the cemetery. After a few minutes, the only one remaining was my lover, Harley. I stared at them, crying harder as they sat on a nearby tomb to watch my grave be filled. They were crying, very subtly, but I knew them better than I knew myself.

A few hours later, the sun had gone down, and Harley was still at my grave. They sat cross legged, toying with the flowers left there by my friends and family. I began to clamber out of the tree, my limbs stiff from hours spent in awkward positions. I walked up behind Harley, my feet quiet on the soft grass.

"You were right, you know," they said, looking at a bunch of lilies. "You see that now, right?" They turned, their molten eyes meeting mine. A red-hot mix of emotions was floating there as they beheld my living self.

"I can tell," I said, sitting next to them. I laid my head on their shoulder.

"So, which came first? God, or you?" They looked at me expectantly. I smiled.

"I suppose I'll have to find the others to be sure," I said, a small laugh finding its way into my voice. "I can't see them again, can I? I won't see my family ever again."

Harley looked to the stars. "No. You can't stay, love."

Despair and acceptance sank into my chest. "Until next time, my love?"

"Until next time."

Pain pierced my stomach as a blade stuck through. Harley cried then, big, ugly tears, as they removed the knife from my gut. I held their face, allowing them to see the forgiveness in my eyes. They were blurring at the edges.

Oh well, at least the last thing I see will be this beautiful person.

And then it was black.

Bright light pierced my eyes. I cried. A man was standing over me. His face was covered in blue fabric and his eyes were crinkled at the edges. He had big hands. I was cold.

Soon I was in the arms of a woman, a warm thing in my mouth. I began to suck instinctually; food came out! That was nice.

Oh, I'm a baby. This realization hit with the force of a semi-truck.

It had started again.

A/N: Egg theory is the idea that you (or I) are the only conscious person on Earth. This usually comes with the idea that there are others in the universe, leaving it up the conscious individual to find the others. However, you are only human and will eventually die, which means that in the next life, you will be even more self aware than you are now. This happens over and over again until you read the ultimate level of self awareness, making you God, hence the name. Egg theory; which came first, you or God?