Dangerous Dance

I stand by a table of dessert, watching everyone dance in the dim light. The music blares from every corner, and I can feel the delicious beat fill me up and pound in my chest.

It's too late baby, there's no turning around
I got my hands in my pockets and my head in the clouds
This is how I do, when I think about you . .

For once I'm not the one performing, and I listen to Zeke and Travis' voices blend perfectly.

I never thought that you could break me apart,
I keep a sinister smile and a hole in my heart
You want to get inside, well you can get in line,
But not this time . .
You caught me off guard,
Now I'm running and screaming . .

He makes his way toward me, and I watch him get closer. Suddenly he's right in front of me.

"Hey, Warren," I say.

"Nightingale." He smiles in a careless sort of way and holds a hand out to me. "Can I have a dance?"

"I don't think that's the best idea . . " I say tentatively. I look around the room, looking for anyone who could get me out of this one. Nobody looks my way, and I sigh.

"What, are you scared?" His smile grows.

"Not at all," I say. "But you should be. If Eric catches you, you're gonna be either a few teeth lighter, or a few bullets heavier."

"I think I'll take my chances to dance with the legendary Nightingale." He laughs.

I smile and take his outstretched hand. "Okay," I say. "But just one dance."

Finally, someone walks up to us. I see Liz holding a drink in one hand and a black shirt in the other.

"Hey, princess. You seen Uriah anywhere? He's running around here somewhere. Topless, of course."