Chapter 3

It has been a month since the incident with Kimberly and the company has been the same except there twice as much security in the building. Now all of the workers have a work pass and an authorisation key for every area they work in. There's different keys for different floors so there's no confusion or threats to the company. I've been doing better and haven't had any new nightmares or electric sensations since that day. Désiré has been constantly checking in with me and I always answer that I'm okay.

He doesn't believe me but I am.

Today, I had just finished calling other companies and I have a meeting later in the week about partnering with the company, Zelta, the gaming company, to invest our supplies to make their consoles more advanced. I'd say it was a good investment to make since they are the fastest growing gaming company in the market right now.

I was now on my way to lunch after hanging up the phone for the last call of the hour. I had my lunch packed by Mum and I exit my office to walk around for a place to eat. Usually I would eat in the office but the security made it hard to eat alone. I ask them to stay in their places while I eat outside. They were reluctant but they let me go anyway. I go outside and open my lunch which was a simple beet salad and water. I begin eating and Désiré comes around and sits across from me. He smiles softly at me and also begins eating. He had a marmitako for his meal and finished rather quickly. It seemed like he hadn't eaten in a while which couldn't be true since his father is so rich. Once he was finished he stared at me as I ate. I ignore him until I finish my food and finally, I stare back at him.

"Why are you staring at me?" I ask and he shrugs.

"I heard something about you and I'm wondering if it's true." I raise my eyebrow at him.

"And what have you heard?"

"That you can't feel anything..." I nod and he leans back confused.

"And what is your assessment?"

"My assessment is that that's just not true. I know you can feel something but have probably barely experienced anything so you can't identify what you're feeling..." He puts his arms behind his head and leans further back in his seat. This was the most I've ever talked with him since working here months ago. He seemed...interesting.

"Yeah? And what makes you think that you know if that's the case? You've barely talked with me even after I've tried making simple conversation with you and after only two months suddenly you know a person like the back of your hand? Seems spontaneous." He was taken aback as he sits in the seat properly. Was that too harsh again? I forgot that normal people have sensitive perceptions about the world and about others.

"While it may be true that I barely know you, I could see and feel your emotions coming through from time to time..." I knew were this was going now and he sighs. He leans in closer to me and whispers. "The whole Kimberly thing-" my timer goes off and lunch has ended. I gather my things and throw my trash away as Désiré follows me to continue the conversation.

"The Kimberly situation had an elicit response, yes, but that doesn't mean anything because I don't feel emotions but I can still feel pain. Don't forget that you tackled me." We walk onto the lift to go to my office.

"Yes, I know I tackled you but-"

"Yes, and I am extremely grateful for that but it doesn't mean that I will suddenly feel something after years of not feeling anything."

"Okay, okay, but hear me out-" He says as we enter my office and I sharply turn around to meet his eyes. He flinched but regain his composure.

"I will say this from now until the end. I...do not...feel...anything!" I emphasised and he pauses as I sit at my desk. "Now, if you need anything, just ask." There was that silence again, it was strange how it inflicted a different perception.