🇸 🇴 🇴 🇳  🇹 🇴  🇨 🇴 🇲 🇪 

The man nodded and went to another desk and pulled out an application for adoption.

“Is it ok if we call you Naomi?” he asked softly as she finally met his gaze, nodding. “Good” he smiled encouragingly and got to work on filling it out, taking care to explain things to her slowly.

It didn’t seem to matter though since Naomi just shrugged as she picked absently at her nails, her mind elsewhere. "We're gonna have your teeth checked. okay? It'll make everything easier.

Do you want me to come to get them for you today?" He asked gently, hoping that this was one thing Naomi wouldn't object to. She sighed and nodded, seeming resigned.

He smiled again as he reached over and squeezed her hand lightly, the gesture meant more to both of them than anyone could ever guess. "Are you okay with Dr. Weston looking at your teeth?" the man asked her.

this is how our dentist and deaf little met. she nodded and dropped her head at the man's question.  “Alright” he answered, getting up and turning away as she did the same. “Let’s go get your teeth checked” he said, smiling softly at her.

He led her through the maze of corridors in the large hospital building towards the door where the doctors had their rooms. Dr. Weston was waiting outside the door, smiling at the two of them as they approached.

“Hello Naomi, it’s nice to meet you” he greeted her kindly, holding out his hand for her to shake. She took it hesitantly, still unsure about the whole situation. “It’s nice to meet you too” she said softly, her head still down.

She looked at Dr. Weston curiously as she held her hand in his own, her fingers curled loosely around his palm. He smiled and looked down at her. “Do you want to talk about what happened?

You’re allowed to ask questions.” He suggested as they entered the room where his office was located. she looked up at him and lightly smiled, being sure not to open her mouth.

His smile widened slightly as he realized he was probably correct and motioned for Naomi to follow him inside. As soon as the door clicked shut behind them, he turned to her and looked concerned.

“Do you know why someone would do that to you?” he asked. “No” she replied shakily, her head down again and no longer smiling as she was before.

He felt his heart ache for her and wished more than anything for her to be free of these horrible experiences. He cleared his throat, knowing better than to try to force her to tell him anything.

“That’s alright, you don’t need to answer anything right now, okay? Let’s just get you your checkup and then we can go somewhere and talk some more, alright?

If you need anything just ask and we will help you” he smiled at her once again. She nodded and looked at him cautiously, afraid that she would be kicked out again. "are you okay, Naomi?

you don't look so good" he said as she started to get dizzy.  “Hey, hey it’s okay” he said quickly reaching out and grabbing the sides of her face. “I know you’re scared and we aren’t going anywhere.

We are only here to help” he whispered to her gently. She nodded and leaned into his touch. “Okay” she agreed quietly as he helped guide her to the examination table.

Dr. Weston made note of her reaction and continued, “How old are you, Naomi?” he asked gently. She hesitated before mumbling out a response, not wanting to get kicked out again.

“You can say anything” he assured her, giving her a gentle smile. She nodded, still staring at the floor and mumbling out, “two" with two of her fingers crossed the air. "Two" he repeated.