05

Mentions eating disorder

Brooke's POV

It has been a few weeks and for those weeks that I've tried talking to Owen, it's as if he doesn't know I exist. It has been really weird. Caydan has started drifting away from me since I've been acting weird.

To say the least, I'm that awkward nerd again with no friends other than herself. It's awful. My brother's have noticed that something's up, but I shrug it off and change the subject. I gave up on contacting Owen and Caydan and went back to how I was before.

I skip gym and go to the library to do homework or read every day. No one's there so it's quiet and peaceful. No one's noticed that I haven't been there, not even our own teacher. I show up once in a while to get a high enough mark.

In class I sit in the back where I'm not noticed. Some may think I'm being an "UwU shy kid" but it's my reality. I can't sit next to Caydan without getting a look. My other "friends" aren't my friends. Everyone in the entire school just thinks I'm some weird nerd.

After school when I'm home I go straight to my room and finish homework, not leaving unless I need something. I know my brothers are probably worried but it's all I can do to keep myself from going insane trying to think of where it went wrong.

Since I've been in my room so much I've been eating less and less every day. I lock my door so no one can interrupt me or force me to do anything. I mean why would they? It's not like I'm useful. All I do is mess things up.

Phoenix's POV

I'm starting to worry about Brooke. She hasn't been eating anything and she's locking her bedroom door whenever she's inside, even just sleeping. If she does sleep.

The bags under her eyes are becoming more prominent but she hides it with make up and a smile. She's becoming unhealthily slim but she hides it with baggy clothing and laughter. I've known this girl for all 16 years of her life. 

I knew the only way I could figure this out was either talk to her which wasn't happening, I've tried, or b. B is stalking this new guy that follows her on Instagram. Owen Jacobs. 

So that's what I did. I found out that he's some AAA hockey player and captain of his team. Goes to her school, 3 months older than Brooke, and he seems like a good guy. But what happened? 

I followed his Instagram and now waited to see if he'd follow me back. I need to have a talk with this kid.

Owen's POV

I just got out of a hockey practice and waiting for my mom outside. I'm sitting on my hockey bag and scrolling through my phone. I got a notification from Instagram that I got a new follower. Phoenix Dani- oh shit.

Phoenix Danielson. I've heard of him. He plays for the Calgary Wranglers hockey team, which is basically the Calgary Flames affiliate team. He's Brooke's older brother? Fuck. I followed him back and not even a minute later got a DM.

Bold is Phoenix
Italics are Owen

So.

That's never good.

Uhh..hey. I've heard about you! You're a good player.

Don't try and butter me up, kid.

I need to know what you did to my sister that really hurt her.

I didn't do anything.

Lie.

I've known this girl for 16 years. Don't try it.

Uh..I can't tell you. But just know I didn't have much of a choice.

Lie.

Phoenix didn't answer after that but he read the message. I sighed and put my phone in my sweatpants pocket, placing my head in my hands. I feel so guilty because of what I did and I think that Chace is figuring out what happened piece by piece.

He's figured out that I had some kind of connection to Brooke, but he hasn't figured out why I did or why we don't have one anymore. I'm scared they'll judge me, but was it really worth losing her?