ii.┊dead sea

dead sea

chpt. 2

⸻⸻⸻⸻ alterna : squid sister's camp

CAPTAIN 8 PACED around the outside of the Cuttlefish Cabin, his hands clasped neatly behind his back. The bags underneath his eyes became more apparent as he continuously lost hours upon hours of sleep, pacing back and forth across the same platform, day in and day out.

    "Agent–Captain," Agent 1 corrected herself, puffing out her cheeks and scratching them with her index finger nervously. "You need some rest and I'm sure we'll find her soon; we're close, I can feel it!"

    Captain 8 pivoted on his heel, his new-and-improved Luna Blaster Neo bumping against his hip and making a rattling noise, turning to face the agent/pop star idol. "That's why we have to keep going! I've had Sheldon design a new shuttle for us to transport weapons in, I had Agent 3 go on several searches, and, to top it all off, I've been searching for Ivory! Ever since the whole–" he waved his hands dramatically in the air, rolling his brown eyes, "Incident and Cuttlefish's retirement, I've been in charge here and no one should say differently."

    "But 8–"

    "That's Captain to you," he corrected, hissing, as he pointed a finger at her. His unruly orange tentacles flopped over his forehead, and with a hand, he deliriously brushed it away. He was very, very tired, as his eyes were slowly closing and his voice was coming to a hushed tone. His posture slowly bent forward, but he was quickly able to perk himself back up with a pinch to his arm.

    Agent 3 stood a few paces away, rummaging through their supplies. His old (though it looked brand-new) dynamo resting against his side. "What she's meaning to say, Captain, is that we can't stand to lose more supplies. We're running dangerously low on food, and–"

    "It's my job to tell you whether or not we are running low on something!" the dark skinned octoling snapped, his eyes wide and dark, and the bags under his eyes even darker. "Capisce?"

Agent 3 furrowed his blue brows with a frown, finding the Captain's tone distasteful and odd; he usually wasn't so uptight and strict with them, but ever since the whole Incident, things changed.

Cuttlefish retired a few days after and seeing how sad Agent 8 was, and gave him the position of Captain. After that, Captain 8 had been nothing but a power-obsessed freak, wanting anything and everything to do with the Incident. Sure, it broke his heart when he saw Ivory die right in front of him, but the past was the past. He needed to get over it.

"Captain, you're getting cocky again." Agent 3 said, shutting the neon-orange lid to a large black container that held all their supplies for the next few weeks. "All of this," he motioned with one hand to the container, "is supposed to last us weeks. We've gone through half of it in three days. We have to put this ridiculous mission on hold–"

"NO!" He blurted all at once. 8's face was flushed a red-orange with hot rage as he spoke, his hands flexing in and out of a fist. He finally sighed, squeezing his eyes shut. "No," He said more calmly. "No."

    Agent 3 slung his dynamo onto his shoulder, putting most of the weight of it on his right. "We have to, 8; We're either going to starve, die of thirst, or hypothermia, or worse! For eel, Fons, we can't continue."

    "Maybe you can't, but I can." Said Captain 8, his hands still clenching in and out of fists. "You guys can leave. I'm going to look for Ivory."

And with that, he walked off of the huge platform, leaving the other agents behind.

    A few minutes later, Captain 8 had made it to the top of a snow-covered field just north of his base, where he flopped down onto the soft, blanket-like ground with an exhausted sigh. He was so used to being cooped up into a room, where he forced himself for nights on end to find out where Ivory was, without actually having to get up... It wasn't very healthy, but he felt it was necessary for all the suffering he and his friends went through, just to find her.

    "Where should we start exploring now?" Someone said from behind Captain 8, the tone in their voice seeming all too familiar to him. He jumped from his spot, dusted the snow from his poncho, and almost literally flew over the hill.

    "Ivory?" He called, cupping his hands over his mouth as he shouted. And inkling with short, yellow-lavender tentacles stood a few paces away from him, their clothes torn and snow-covered. "Ivory, is that you?"

She turned around, her brows furrowed and her hand reaching behind her into her makeshift rucksack–for a weapon, maybe, or a gift for him?

Feelings Captain 8 never thought he'd feel came swarming back, like a hive of bees were trapped inside his stomach and couldn't find a way out. His cheeks glowed, his heart soared through the clouds.

It was Ivory.

Finally, at long last.

"Ivory, I missed you so much-"

He was cut off by the sound of a charger beam.

"Who are you?" She shouted, her eyes bright with anger. "Wh- how'd you find me? Are you one of those dirty Kamabo rats?"

"Ivory, I've been looking for you everywhere!" Captain 8 kept his hands up, his eyes closed as the Bamboozler's sharp neon-purple line was aimed at his cheek. "Everyone's been so worried about you; we thought you died! I've been looking for you, so has Major–"

 Seeing her confusion, he turned his head towards her, and said,

"It's me, Fonsie."

---

edit date: ---

word count: 938