iv.┊two shadows in the sun

two shadows in the sun

chpt. 4

⸻⸻⸻⸻ alterna : squid sister's camp

MAJOR LOWERED his dynamo roller from his shoulder with a grunt and popped the orange lid to the black supplies container, sighing. He counted how much food they had left and shut the lid. "We have four days left, not counting the journey back to Splatsville."

"Only four days left?!" Callie whined, pursing and twisting her lips into a disapproving frown. "Four days?"

"Yes," Major put it simply, "only four days for just the four of us. We could skip one meal, and that would give us...." He did the math on his fingers, muttering the numbers under his breath. "Give or take six days."

She let out an annoyed groan in protest, her arms crossed as if she was a toddler in a temper tantrum. Then, seconds later, the sound of footfalls near their base made the Agents turn. Major hauled his dynamo up from the ground and aimed it at the source of the sound but he was quick to lower it.

"Eigh- er, Captain?"

The said boy stood on the edge of their base with what looked like an unconscious inkling girl in his trembling arms. Major's jaw dropped, his brows arched high above his wide eyes. He recognized those light purple eyes from anywhere.

"Octarians..." Captain inhaled and exhaled rapidly, trying to catch his breath. "They attacked us, but I managed to fight them off..." He held the girl up like she was a lightweight doll. "But Ivory... Ivory needs help."

Major shut his gaping jaw, closed his eyes, and pinched the bridge of his nose. It can't be Ivory; I must've heard wrong...

Before he could open his mouth to speak, someone threw the base's door open and darted out from inside. They super jumped off of the high railing and snatched Ivory from Captain's hands, placing her gently over their left shoulder.

"I'll take her, thank youuu!" Agent S said with a chuckle, planting a hand on his hip. "After all, she is my cousin-in-law!"

Captain 8 frowned, his brows knit together with anger and frustration. "She doesn't have her memories, S, and she was married against her will."

"Hah!" S laughed aloud, "well, her husband sure doesn't think so!"

"She. Isn't. Married!" Captain 8 shouted, his face flushed orange with rage. His brows were furrowed deep into his eyes, his lips curled down into a frown. "She didn't even want to be married to him!"

"Why don't we get a second opinion on this topic, Eight?" S said, waving one hand to the base's still-open door.

"What... Do you mean?" Captain 8 pondered, his rage dissipating and the hot-orange emotions vanishing from his face.

"Well," Agent S started, a smirk playing on his lips. "I could show you..."

"Show us what?" Major snapped, eyeing the cherry-red inkling. "S, show us what?"

He chuckled and pointed to the door where a dark, shadowy form appeared.

---

edit date: ----

word count: 470