iii - salt and the sea

─────⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅─────

chapter three
—salt and the sea

─────⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅─────

THE UNRESOLVED TENSION BETWEEN LAUREL AND AVERY LINGERED IN THE AIR FOR THE WHOLE CAR RIDE —  IT'S EASY TO SAY THAT IT  WAS EXHAUSTING FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED

THE UNRESOLVED TENSION BETWEEN LAUREL AND AVERY LINGERED IN THE AIR FOR THE WHOLE CAR RIDE — IT'S EASY TO SAY THAT IT WAS EXHAUSTING FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

Both Steven and Isabel ( who sat in the front of the car ) had taken notice of the uncomfortable energy in the back — they wouldn't admit it, but it hadn't exactly put them at ease. The brother kept on glancing back at the two the rearview mirror and and his sister kept on trying to make small talk (emphasis on trying, as all of her attempts so far had failed miserably).

As for the other two... they hadn't even spared a glance in the other's direction. Well, that's not entirely true — the older one in the company had at multiple occasions, throughout the time spent in the vehicle, tried to get some kind of reaction from the younger girl. Laurel would drop small provocative comments or accidentally bump into her — call her childish, but she had never handled conflict very well.

Avery wasn't exactly mature either, since she had for the past couple of hours been unbrokenly staring out her window (that was not an over exaggeration, it would most likely result in severe neck pain). She wasn't planning on moving anytime soon though, she was as stubborn as she always had been and she wasn't planning on meeting Laurel's gaze anytime soon.

If being honest, she couldn't quite even remember what she was so pissed off about. It didn't really matter though, for she was sure that she had a good reason for holding a grudge — she always seemed to have.

It wasn't like she liked to be mad, silently enjoying the feeling of burning anger coursing through her veins. There really was no controlling it, when she felt a lot of different feelings at once Avery could just feel it coming — it visibly showed as blood rushing under her skin making her cheeks and neck flush red and it felt like thick fog clouding her mind making her mouth spit venom. It was like it always laid there — like a river waiting to flood over.

At first, she had tried ignoring the hot anger. Simply tucking it away in her mind under a thick cover of delusion. She was fine — how couldn't she be? Almost a year had passed (a little bit over one, actually). It was time she moved on with her life, the mourning process was over. Society didn't wait, it moved forward without her— occasionally letting her shed a tear or two. Yet, Avery wasn't sad. She didn't feel depressed.

She was just so angry all the time.

And she tried so hard not to be— she tried to be happy, to smile more, to appreciate the steady things in life that still remained. There were so many individuals on the list of people that cared about her — a list her therapist forced (recommended) her to write. Yet, how could she ever trust them to remain when so many others had left. Every important pillar that she had ever relied on had cracked under the pressure. Avery had wrecked them, she was the reason her mom got into that car accident, the reason her dad left. She was too much and for every second that passed she was just waiting for Laurel (and everyone else) to realize that.