Page 16

Janet

"Story why are you crying" Jospeh asked as he sat on the couch in front of me.

Christopher sat next to me holding her. "We just changed and fed her. I don't know why she's fussing Jospeh" I said looking at her.

"Maybe she's tired" Jospeh suggested.

"No I bet she wants her mother" I said nudging Christopher.

"Here" he said handing her over to me.

As soon as I aligned her face with mine she stopped crying. All she wanted was her mama.

"How are you" Christopher asked Joseph.

"I'm good Christopher. I wanted to talk to my daughter in private" he stated making me frown my face.

"No Jospeh we don't keep secrets in this house. Whatever you want to say to me you can say it in front of my husband" I said putting Story in my lap.

Jospeh smiled at Story before giving me a sad look. "Seeing you finally be a mother makes me look at things different Janet. And losing Michael really put things into prospective"

"What are you saying Joseph" I asked.

He took off his hat and held his eyes with his hand. "I'm sorry I took Stevanna away from you. I didn't do it to be mean. I was doing what was best for your future"

I could feel that lump in my throat again as I looked to Christopher. Never in a billion years did I think I'd ever hear Jospeh apologize to me. "Thank you Jospeh but you know who really needs an apology"

"Who?"

"Stevanna" I answered.

"Apologize for what" he asked frowning his face. My jaw dropped I was shocked to hear him say that so boldly.

"He's not sorry Janet" Christopher said to me.

"And him" Joesph said pointing his finger at Christopher. "You don't need to be in this. Your only making things worse" he finished.

"What your not gonna do is talk to me like that, in my house Joseph" Christopher spoke calmly in his deep voice.

"Both of you, listen to this. If it wasn't for the adoption Janet wouldn't be here. There would be no Pleasure Principle, no Rhythm Nation, no All For You, Janet" he paused to look at me. "Janet you would've raised Stevanna with that heroin addict somewhere else because me and your mother would've kicked you out"

I felt embarrassed looking away from him. Story was innocently playing with the strings on my pants as I held in my tears.

"How about the both of you do me a favor" he said looking between Christopher and I. "Leave Stevanna alone y'all are putting the wrong idea in that girls head"

"And what idea is that Jo" I asked raising my voice.

"That she's your daughter" he said stern. "No more babysitting I don't want that girl over here no more. You got that"

I was so shocked I froze. He's acting like a dictator, like he can control my life all of a sudden. I'm a married woman who does he think he is.