Ch1. French toast

"Darling, wait! Now those carrots are supposed to get a nice hot bath in this pot, not a sauna in that steamer. Be care for with the recipe, okay?" Balancing a large tray on one of your hands while shoving anything on the counter with another to make a space, your eyes glanced over the island, immediately stopping the girl in a teasing tone.

"Oops! Sorry ma'am." The student stuck her tongue out with a grimace, carefully pouring the veggie back into the bowl.

"It's alright." You reassured her with a smile, stirring the mixed chunks of potatoes, garlic and herbs in the metal plate, preparing the mixture for baking later.

"Don't mess with the recipe from the lady of the kitchen, you can't imagine the consequences!" Your fellow coworker yelled and laughed from the other side of the kitchen.

"Shut up, Marco! Don't think I didn't notice you ate the figs and olives from salads for vegetarians!" You yelled back warningly with eyes rolling, didn't care if he could see it or not. The slim man gasped, ducking down to avoid your gaze, burying his nose back to the cheese rolls he was making.

The girl shyly giggled, holding the bowl and strolling around the counter while you seasoned potatoes with a generous amount of pepper and a hint of dried rosemary. As she poured carrots into the pot beside you, her nose tip scrunched with a frown formed between her brows.

"Is butter potato today adding garlic? Eww!"

You laughed, shaking your head. "Darling, as a vampire, you have a good sense of smell. Yes, just a tiny hint. I know you don't like it, but most students do enjoy the mild punch of spicy. I'm afraid my goal as a cook at the school is to feed their bellies full." Finishing the preparation with a nice pinch of salt, you swiftly sent the tray into the preheated oven, now is the time for the heat and time to do their magic. You turned around, watching the student stirred the stew slowly and gingerly, an approving hum left your nostrils.

"Good job, kid! Now leave it to me, you better head back to change before breakfast begins." You patted her shoulder, gently ushering her away from the stove, and putting the cover on the pot.

"Will we have potato without garlic later this week?" After pulling off the apron from herself, the student turned back, handing it to you and looking at you with hope in her tone. You swear you saw lights flickering behind her heavy round sunglasses.

"You sure you are not one of the lycans? Jeez, you give the best puppy eyes I've ever seen."

"So?" She blinked, pouting a little. How could you resist a young being's innocent begging look? You were not a cold-hearted woman. Having no choices left, you chuckled and nodded at her.

"You got me. Okay, there will be special baked potatoes for my favorite student in Nevermore. Satisfied?"

"Yes! I love you, Ms. L/N!" The young vampire gave you a quick, tight hug before happily fleeing out of the kitchen, leaving you standing still with widened eyes, a soft sigh sneaking out of your lips.

"Bribe me with more figs, then I won't tell the principal of your special treatment for a student." When you went across your companion, the man with gold-trim glasses teased with a grin as his hands non-stoppingly chopped fruits into fine dice, each with precise length and width.

"Or I should tell the principal first that a quarter of the fruit supply is eaten by you, Pans." Tossing the fabric into the laundry basket, you smirked at him, watching amusedly as a piece of apple slid from his mouth, his jaw hung opened and his face shocked.

"No no, that won't be necessary. How about I make the coffee for you and do the lasagna for lunch later while you prep your own food?" He pleaded with his brown eyes. You sported a triumphant smile on your face and nodded.