Blocking A Break up

Percy Jackson pov.
(A Flat is a House)
I laid down on the couch in my flat in New Rome. Well, Annabeth's and my flat. She had chosen it. I had voted that we take a flat next to the baths but Annabeth had as usually made me share her opinion. After turning on the TV, I closed my eyes. I still had problems adapting to the normal world after Tartarus. College was great and I shared nearly every class with Annabeth but still..... I still had problems leaving all that behind. I wished Annabeth was here, sadly Reyna had convinced her to design a few buildings so our evenings together were nearly cut in half. I also felt that it was too much strain for Annabeth. She needed more time to rest and recover. Slowly I drifted off to sleep.

I felt a warm, thin body pressing against mine and woke up. My beautiful girlfriend rested her head on my shoulder. I could feel her heart beating violently in her chest as I wrapped my arms around her thin body. Her breath was coming in low pants. Tartarus was taking a heavier toll on Annabeth's mind and body than it did on mine. She had lost an unhealthy amount of weight and strength. So much in fact, that running up two flights of stairs made her heartbeat as if she had just run a marathon. Even though Apollo and Aphrodite had assured us it wasn't permanent it hurt to see all the gray in her hair. Her eyes were only slowly recovering their old sparkle. Her confidence had also taken a great beating. She constantly seemed to think I was going to break up with her, especially when other girls were around. It hurt to see her in such a week and vulnerable state. It was obvious that Annabeth would be lost if I broke up with her. Apollo had warned me that I was the only thing keeping her together and that if I left she would give up and fade away. She already was in danger of hurting herself as it was. Once she had a breakdown when Piper and I had a conversation. She had seen us talking in front of the white house and runoff. Of course, I ran after her. I had found the fierce daughter of Athena sitting on the edge of Lake, dangling her feet in the water. I had quickly realized that she was crying and sat down next to her and hugged her tightly.

I knew she thought that she was useless and ugly. What she didn't seem to understand was that to me, she was more beautiful and adorable than ever. I had often thought about having sex with Annabeth, like the night we had spent together in the stables on the Argo two. Even now I still wanted her but she just felt too vulnerable and fragile to take any steps in that direction. That was the reason why I followed the one condition my mother had set on letting me live together with Annabeth. We had to stay in separate bedrooms. I pulled her on my lap and kissed her on the temple. "Hey Wise Girl." I greeted her. She looked at me with her sad, tired eyes and actually made an adept to smile. With a painful jolt, I realized that she was wearing makeup. No much, but enough to hide how pail her skin had gotten and some lipstick. "Your wearing makeup!" I exclaimed. It came a lot harsher than I meant it to. Annabeth's burst into tears and started sobbing uncontrollably into my shoulder. She even tried to get-up but before she could I tightened my grip around her. These sorts of break downs weren't rare. We sat there at least for twenty minutes until she calmed down and just lay in my arms, her eyes staring into the distance.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to look pretty. I thought I should at least try to present some sort of competition to all the girls that keep on flirting with you." She whispered, barely audible. Before I could say something she added, "I have to let you go Percy." I stared at her shocked. "I love you more than my life and I can't let you waste your time with me. You deserve someone happy and pretty." I was too shocked to answer her. Annabeth freed herself from my embrace with more strength than I would have thought possible and got to her feet and walked straight to the door of our flat. Feeling panic spreading through me I jumped to my feet and sprinted to the door easily reaching it before her. I grabbed the key, that was lying on a stool next to it. I quickly turned it until I heard the lock click. Then I pulled the key out and stuffed it in my pocket and turned to Annabeth. "I'm not letting you break up with me," I growled. She stopped in front of me. "Let me leave." She demanded weakly. I crossed my arms definitely. I could sense that this had been coming up for a while. "Where will you go?" She didn't answer and at her feet. "You were going to kill yourself," I noted. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

Her shoulders slumped. "Why do you care? I can tell that you are only together with me because you feel sorry for me!" A bubble of anger started to form in my chest. "You can tell?" I asked sarcastically. For the first time in months, defiance burned hot in eyes. "Ohh please, Jackson. I can see the pitying looks. Before the giant war, I only had to wear a tank top and you couldn't close your mouth. Now, I am obviously incapable of even making you blush, even when I've been throwing myself at you. I even asked Reyna to help me put some makeup on to look pretty and all I get is rejection from you. I want you to kiss me like you used to but all I get is a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I'm sorry but that is not how you treat a friend, not the girl you love. Now, I still have enough pride to care if people pity me. I am no longer going to waste your time." She rambled on. I cut her off by holding up my hand. She looked at me with wide, shining eyes. "

"Hear me out please?" She looked at me blankly. "Annabeth, listen closely. I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with you. You are the most beautiful girl in my world and I wouldn't switch you for Aphrodite herself. I haven't been making any advances because to me it looked like you weren't ready for it." I ignored her attempts to push me away and wrapped my arms around her thin torso and pulled her against me. She quickly gave up her attempts to free herself and rested her forehead on my chest. "You really do want me?" She asked into my shirt. "Yes." Suddenly I knew what we had to do. Screw college and duties. My duty to a certain Wise Girl went above all else. I led her to the kitchen and made her a hot chocolate and then sat her down on the living room couch. "Wait here," I ordered the blond. She shrugged. "The door is locked. I'm going nowhere." She reminded me.

Next, I hurried into the bedroom and pulled our suitcase out of the closet, and started filling in with Annabeth's and my clothes. For once I didn't even feel awkward touching her undergarments. Five minutes later I pulled the suitcase into the living room. Annabeth looked at me puzzled. "Are you leaving?" I kept my face straight. "Yes." When her face fell I added. "And I'm taking you with me." Annabeth face lit up a bit but then she sighed. "Percy, we can't. We have college and everything." She reminded me. I gave her my best trouble maker grin. "Screw college for now. Screw Olympus, screw Rome, and screw all the rules. We need to get away from here." I insisted. She sighed but obviously didn't have the strength left to put up a fight and I wasn't taking no for an answer. "How long are we staying away and where are we going," Annabeth asked, displaying her need to know everything. She couldn't stand spontaneous things. "No idea and I'll keep our destination as a surprise." She sighed. "If you say so."

I held out my hand which she took without putting up any fight whatsoever and led her out of the apartment building out onto the streets of New Rome. I lifted to fingers to my lips and whistled as loud as I could. Moments later the familiar, black Pegasus landed in front of us. "Hey, Boss. Still alive?" I chuckled and stroked the animals flank. "Yes, I need you to take us somewhere." He gave the suitcase an apprehensive look. "Only to the closest bus station," I assured the horse. "I'll buy you donuts," I added. "Okay boss. Make sure blondy doesn't fall off."