Chapter 1: Beginnings

It was a cold stormy night in mid December.... That's how these fun little stories are supposed to go, right? Well, I actually can't be bothered to build up the atmosphere, because its mid July over here, it hasn't rained in a month, and I'm so fucking hot I think my eyeballs are going to melt into my mushy tiny pea-brain. I'm exhausted, but I think everyone is, because there's so much to do. Exam season just ended and everyones sweating their bollocks off in this heat... sorry, I just realised I never introduced myself! I'm Lauren Adams, and welcome to my internal monologue. It's a bit chaotic, in and outside my head at the moment, so maybe I should clear a few things up, huh? 

It's Summer Break, barely. We broke up from school about a week ago, and everyones so busy trying to have fun that nobody is *actually* having fun. The heat is making everyone grouchy, as Shakespeare said, "these hot days is the mad blood stirring". I'm so glad I don't have to remember any more stupid quotes for English exams anymore, but they still won't leave my head. I suppose I do enjoy poetry and writing, its just so much effort sometimes. I keep a diary too, though I hardly ever write in it. It has a beautiful chestnut leather bound cover, with "love from Dad" engraved, with some sort of laser, into the bottom right hand corner. He got it for my 16th birthday last November because he knows I love to write... and doodle in all my school books too, my teachers hated that.

I live on a pretty little farm ranch in the middle of nowhere, and I love it. My entire family lives with me, my parents, my annoying little brother, my wonderful big sister, my tiny cousin, my aunt, my grandparents, and Nanna (who is nearly ninety six and, honestly, I don't know how she still has such an attitude! Pop off I guess, Nanna.) Having a big family is both a blessing and a curse, if I'm ever in trouble all I have to do is tell someone like my big sister and, boom, it goes away. Only two issues, if you want a secret kept, forget it, gossip spreads like wildfire, especially if Nanna gets wind of it. And secondly, if you want to find a quiet spot to read, or write, or something like that... nope. Theres always someone somewhere working, or drilling, or making noise, or roping you into chores... oh God, I forgot to do my chores this morning!

Overall though, it's not too bad here, I do love it, especially now schools over and I can just lounge about and avoid doing all my chores. I have one little spot not too far into the woods that is beautiful and the perfect place to sit down and write. In fact I'm here right now, and its so peaceful, all I can hear is the chatter of birds. It makes me want to write a love poem... 

Listening to the birds is great until you hear a shrill nasally voice screaming your name across fields. It's round about dinner time so Nanna must be looking for me. Well fuck. Oh well, I guess the peace has already been shattered. Until next time, diary. Peace out.

I signed off with a big splotch of bright black ink for a full stop, and carefully folded the pages of the slightly tattered book into my creased jacket, which now had fluorescent green stains on the back from sitting on the mossy tree stump. Jumping up, I bounced along the trail out of the woods, the bird song fading behind me as she began to hear the persistent hum of a lawnmower and the shouts of my father across the fields by the timber yard. Back to civilisation, I thought, as I crossed the bridge over the small stream that had nearly dried up. It was barely even a trickle now, but you could still slightly hear the sounds of the water hitting the small stones below the drop of a tiny waterfall, if you listened closely.

I entered the farmhouse, its charming front door greeting me as always, the faded dove grey planks of the porch reminding me of a few summers ago when my entire family had pitched in to help paint it, and how we had all ended up with paint everywhere, and soaked, as my little brother, Luke, had gotten a hold of the hose later on in the day. The beautiful stained glass window by the door, has a singular rose delicately sitting in its frame, its curly green leaves and waving stem contrasted with the black thorns embedded in it. I wandered through to the kitchen, the smell of freshly baked bread, pies, and some sort of roast wafted through the corridor, and I heard shuffling from upstairs, from Luke's room, along with the blasting of rock music at the highest volume his speakers could muster.

"Lauren May Adams, your jacket is ruined!" My mother cried as I entered the room and turned to the counter top of our kitchen. I turned around sharply, my face only slightly alarmed at the use of my full name, to see the distraught face of my mother staring at my messy appearance.

"What ever shall we do with you girl!" Nanna exclaimed in a haughty tone, her sweater beaded with drops of water from the glass she was managing to spill down her whilst attempting to drink it.

"Here, Nanna, let me help you." I said rushing to put her glass steady, as it nearly fell from her quivering grip, her fingers were twitching.

"I've got it, you insolent child!" She snapped as I caught the glass and she fastened her fingers tightly around it to snatch it from my grasp. I decided to just let it go, so I rolled my eyes and turned back to the counter.

"Lollie!" A small voice chirped up as I heard footsteps running in and the crash of something falling in the hallway.

"Heya kiddo!" I laughed, turning around to see the small figure of my cousin, covered in mud, drenched in water, and holding what looked like some form of rag doll.

"Look what mommy got me!" She shrieked, jumping at me with enthusiasm. I took as step back so I didn't get muddy, although my jacket was already ruined, and I feigned a gasp.

"Adorable! What are we naming it?" I crouched slightly, inspecting the doll that seemed to be dressed in some sort of bright pink romper.

"Martha!" She squealed in delight as I heard another crash from outside, and my dad swearing loudly. He rounded the corner and grinned sheepishly.

"She got hold of the hose..." he said, and gestured at the soppy wet child.

"Anya, you're dripping all over my nice clean floor love.." My mom looked slightly unnerved, as mud and water smeared across the floor she had cleaned only this morning.

"Oh, sorry aunty, I'm sure mommy will help you clean it for me?" She looked up innocently, as at that moment my Aunt Kara walked in, and was greeted by stares, and her dripping, grinning child. She groaned. Nanna chuckled.