Chapter 12: Back Home

In the morning we pack up the supplies people had salvaged and begin the journey to the treehouse. It seems like a longer walk, but we make it in less time than before, as it is only just turning to night when we get there. The wounded that couldn't walk are unloaded from the wagon and we pull them up the pulley to the first floor, whilst everyone else crowds into the second floor, spilling over down the stairs and to the back wall of the first floor.

It is cramped in the treehouse that night, but the structure manages to hold the weight of everyone (minus the horses) and in the morning everyone is still alive, which is the main thing.

A man taking care of his injured son approaches Brandon and the military officers, explaining that he was an architect, and that he could help with the extension of the treehouse. They agreed and Brandon set to work with him, planning where to get the parts from.

"There's a mattress store just off this road here, we could find some mattresses for people there." Brandon says, pointing to a map layer out on his small table.

"We could pool beds on this floor and then extend this bit here to accommodate more people and some bigger facilities such as a larger kitchen and more bathrooms..." the architect says, demonstrating with his hands what he could do.

"We could build a floating fortress..." Sara whispers under her breath to me. I chuckle and slap her arm before lowering myself down the fire pole and getting to work on organising the farming team which had come forward to help build a vegetable patch for us to grow our own food.

Brandon went out with the wagon and a team of people to get mattresses and other supplies and we set to work extending the place to fit these people in to our new safe haven.

I knew now that we were going to be ok... all friends together at last with the people we'd been searching for.

And now, dear diary, we're all safe together, rebuilding. So, I guess I better go help them, huh? 

Peace out!