14: Count To Three...

Winnie's POV

Within a matter of minutes we arrived at the cemetery my parents were buried at. Eerie emotions flooded my body, almost as if I was being haunted. I felt cold, anxious, and pissed. Mac sat in the passenger, visibly on edge. Obviously going on this spontaneous trip to the cemetery wasn't on his to-do list.

I parked as close as I could get near their headstones before I made my way over with haste. I truly hadn't a clue what that fuckhead had left at the headstones, but all I know is that he specifically wanted me to see it. There's no other reason that motherfucker would've even mentioned them.

As I approached their headstones, I noticed flickering. Mac, almost immediately, said, "Uh-oh." Around their graves were tea lights, all still lit, and showing sign of very recently being lit. This is probably where Gavin called me from.

Sitting in front of each of their headstones lay a black dahlia flower.

I froze in fear, almost unsure of how to make the situation. This clearly was placed here to mean something. I didn't like even being here for a second, it felt like he was still lurking. The last thing I wanted was to have to encounter my shit stain of a brother.

"Check it," Mac said, pointing in between their gravestones. I peered and saw a card. It was solid white, completely blank on the back, but a small red heart was painted in the middle. I picked up the card and examined the heart immediately. It still looked moist, like someone had freshly painted it.

I didn't even want to do it, but I had to.

I put the heart near my nose and sniffed it, noting it didn't have any sort of paint fumes, but something more familiar. Blood.

Yikes. What a dramatic guy.

I flipped open the card, only to feel my heart sink to my fucking stomach.

'Hey, Sister.

You're not a very good liar. I need my personal records back by Christmas Day. No later.

This is a threat.

Back. Off.

If you put your nose where it shouldn't belong, you'll pay the price.

But knowing you, you'll keep fucking pestering me until I'm left with no options.

I'm serious.

Your choice, not mine.

Tread carefully. '

"Definitely his handwriting. I can barely read this shit," I grumbled, closing the card and pocketing it. I sighed.

Mac was watching me concerned. He raised an eyebrow. "Well?"

I pondered what to do. He was clearly going to Buffalo, New York, while leaving a warning behind. Knowing now how this all played out, it's quite clear he set this whole scheme up.

He's giving me two options. Fuck off, or buck up. I mean, he wouldn't have told me where he was going if he didn't want me to go.

"He's threatening us to back off of whatever he's got going on. But the fucker told us he's going to Buffalo, leaving a clear fucking crumb trail to follow him. I'm thinking we follow him," I explained. I wasn't about to see him get away with whatever he's up to. Where did that money even go? Why was he using our gang name to cover up these transactions?